LL-L "Etymology" 2002.05.05 (03) [D/E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun May 5 20:09:06 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.MAY.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: <burgdal32 at mac.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.05.02 (06) [D]

> From: Vermeulen <vermeulen.vastgoed at pandora.be>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.05.02 (04) [D/E]
>
> In het Nederlands hebben we een hele resem woorden met betrekking tot
> het
> werkwoord vatten als vertaling voor fassen: vatten, bevatten, vervatten
> (vervat zijn in), aanvatten, hervatten, vuurvatten, kouvatten, opvatten,
> enz., anderzijds staan de naamwoorden: vat, vaten, bloedvaten,
> wijnvaten,
> holle vaten, bodemloze vaten (wat ons bevattingsvermogen wat op de proef
> stelt) heel dicht bij voornoemde werkwoordgroep.
>
> Tegenover het Engelse woord fasten staat dan: vastmaken,
> vervasten,vestigen, bevestigen, vaststellen, vasten (oorspronkelijk
> vastgebonden vasten), enz.;dit is duidelijk een andere woordgroep hoewel
> met raakvlakken.
>
> Frans Vermeulen
In het West-Vlaams  bestaat het werkwoord 'vastein'= vasthebben
Groetjes,
Luc Vanbrabant

----------

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Etymology"

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Etymology
>
> In Low Saxon (Low German) we also have _Sleedoorn_ ~ _Sldoorn_ for the
> plant and _Slee(beer)_ ~ _Sl(beer)_ for the fruit.  (_Prunus spinosa_
> 'thorny plum')  I hadn't made the connection.  Apparently, the name of
> the fruit is related to the Slavic word for 'plum' (e.g., Russian
> _sliva_).  Hmmm ... are _slee_ un _Slee_ ~ _Sl_ *really* related?
> Should the derived adjective not be something like *_sleeig_ then?

This pattern is very like in Scots - the word for the berry
or bush is "slae" /sle:/, and there are also the combinations
"slae-berry", "slae-buss" and "slae-thorn" (English "blackthorn"
- the Scots for "whitethorn" or whitethorn berries is "haw")

The SND doesn't list the word as meaning "astringent", but
"slae-watter", which originally meant the juice of the
blackthorn berry has come to mean any sort of sour watter.

Common similes are "Soor as slae-watter" and "Black as slaes".

>>From the song "Nae Luck aboot the Hoose":

Ryce up an mak a clean fireside,
Pit on the muckle pot;
Gie oor wee Kate her cotton goun,
An Jock his Sunday coat;
An mak their shuin as black as slaes
Their hose as white as snaw,
It's aa tae please ma ain guidman,
He likes tae see them braw.
    For the'r nae luck aboot the hoose,
    The'r nae luck at aa,
    The'r little plaesur in the hoose
    Whan oor guidman's awa.

ryce: rise (SVLR in action)
goun: gown
shuin: shoes
hose: socks/stockings
snaw: snow
guidman: the man of the house
braw: difficult to translate, but roughly "looking wonderful"

The great work on this subject in Scots is Sanders
Montgomerie's "The Cherry and the Slae", where the
cherry represents sweetness and the slae bitterness.
It's at:

http://scotstext.org/pages/resultspage.asp?text=208&pagetype=text

Sandy
http://scotstext.org