LL-L "Etymology" 2002.05.09 (03) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu May 9 22:27:07 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 09.MAY.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann" <Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann at epost.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.05.08 (01) [E]

Something more about "slee" or something similar?

There is the (Upper-)German word "schlohweiss"- I've never heard  the
plattdüütsch/lowland version. Could be, it means the white bushes in the
early spring, blooming very obviously, solitary at that time of the
year.

"Slej", as Ron said, could be similar to "Sliejm", "Schleim"
hochdüütsch,
"slime" in english.

Another word, I would like to discuss about: "Maulwurf" upper german,
"mole" english, "Würmwarp" of "Windwarp" opp plattdüütsch.

"Teiknen" or "dat Teiken"- or. lat. "signare", seems clear for me to
have
become "technics" in many languages. Is it worth to become discussed?

Just a question to the special educated people at this table: I find
words I
guess to have been shifted BACK in the (sorry) "Lautverschiebung".
Interesting for a layman, boring for You? Sorry!

Nu op Platt:

Adschüß bit toon neichstenmool-

Fiete

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

[English below]

Moin, Fiete, Leeglanners!

> There is the (Upper-)German word "schlohweiss"- I've never heard  the
> plattdüütsch/lowland version.

Dat heff ik wull: "slohwitt" or "slouwitt".  Findst ook in de Wöörböker.

> Could be, it means the white bushes in the
> early spring, blooming very obviously, solitary at that time of the year.

Kann wull wesen.  Man woans verklaarst Du denn (/slou/) "sloh..." un
(/slei/) "Sleh(doorn)" un ook "schloh..." un "Schleh(dorn)"?
Dialektünnerscheden?  Ik heff upsteeds keen etymoloogsch düütsch
Wöörbook hier; anners wöör ik nakieken, woneem "hoog"-düütsch
"schloh..." vun afkümmt.

> Another word, I would like to discuss about: "Maulwurf" upper german,
> "mole" english, "Würmwarp" of "Windwarp" opp plattdüütsch.

Ja!  In annere Dialekten gifft 't ook noch "Mullwarp" ("een, de mit 't
Muul de Eerd' upsmitt"?), "Wüppopp" un "Kruup-in't-Lock".  In
Oostfreesland seggt se ook noch "Frööt" [fr9:t] daarto (is wievlich).

Ik will ook noch een Woord to 't Menü toboddern: "Katteker".  In welke
Dialekten seggt se "Eekkatt" (in baven-düütsche ook _Eichkatz(e)_),
"Eekkater" or "Eekhoorn(tje)" ("hoog"-düütsch _Eichhörnchen_).  Man
worüm anners rüm in *Katteker*?

Grötens,
Reinhard/Ron

***

Hi, Fiete, Lowlanders!

> There is the (Upper-)German word "schlohweiss"- I've never heard  the
> plattdüütsch/lowland version.

*I* have: _slohwitt_ or _slouwitt_ [slo.U'vIt] ~ ['slo.UvIt].  It's also
in dictionaries.

> Could be, it means the white bushes in the
> early spring, blooming very obviously, solitary at that time of the year.

That could well be true.  But how do you then explain the differences
between (/slou/) _sloh..._ and (/slei/) _Sleh(doorn)_ and between
_schloh..._ un _Schleh(dorn)_?  Dialect difference?  Unfortunately, I
don't have a German etymological dictionary here at the moment, or I
would check under "schloh...".

> Another word, I would like to discuss about: "Maulwurf" upper german,
> "mole" english, "Würmwarp" of "Windwarp" opp plattdüütsch.

Indeed!  In other dialects there are also _ Mullwarp_ ['mU.lva:p] ("one
that throws up dirt with his mouth"?), _Wüppopp_ ['vYp(?)Op] and _
Kruup-in't-Lock_ ['kru:p?IntlOk] ("creep/crawl-in-the-hole").  In
Eastern Friesland they also say _Frööt_ [fr9:t] (feminine).

Allow me to add a word to the menu: _Katteker" ['katEIk3] ~ [ka'tEIk3]
'squirrel'.  In some dialects it is _Eekkatt_ ['?EIkkat] (cf. Upper
German ook _Eichkatz(e)_ "oak cat"), _Eekkater" ['?EIkkQ:t3] ("oak
tomcat") or "Eekhoorn(tje)" ['?EIkho.3n(tje)] ("High" German
_Eichhörnchen_ "(little) oak horn").  But why reversed in *Katteker*
("cat oaker")?