LL-L "Etymology" 2002.05.12 (05) [E/German]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon May 13 03:13:24 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 12.MAY.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Andrys Onsman <Andrys.Onsman at CeLTS.monash.edu.au>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.05.12 (03) [E/LS]

From: Andrys Onsman
To: Ron et al
Re: "Entomological etymology"

> Oh, yes, and then there's the largely unexplored world of Lowlandic
> zoological names ...  Take another type of bug, the ladybug (~
> ladybird), for instance.  In Dutch it is _lieveheersbeestje_ ("Dear
> Lord's critter"), and in Low Saxon it has similar fancy names, such as
> _Heergottskoh_ ~ _Herrgottskoh_ ("The Lord's cow"), _Sünnenkind_ ("sun
> child"), _Sünnenküken_ ("sun chick"), _Maanküken_ ("moon chick") and
> _Maankalf_ ("moon calf")!

In Westerlauwers Frisian a ladybird is an ingeltsje - a little angel. In
't Bildt, the small reclaimed area in the very north of Fryslan where I
spent a lot of my early childhood, I seem to recall it was called
something else, but I can't remember what. (Bildts is quite different to
W.Frisian.) Does anyone know?

Andrys

----------

From: : frank verhoft <frank_verhoft at yahoo.com>
Subject: etymology

Hi everybody

I'm looking for more information on the use of German
"Krug".
So far I could find:
Krug 1: "Gefäss" (High German)
Krug 2: "Schenke", regional (Low German). Quoting from
Kluge: "Um dasselbe Wort wie Krug 1 kann es sich kaum
handeln, da im Verbreitungsgebiet von Krug 2 zu dem
Gefäss nicht _krug_, sondern _Kruke_ gesagt wird."

Three questions:
1. In Dutch, of course, the words _kruik_ and _kroeg_
come to mind. Van Dale suggests that both words in
Dutch could be related, but i don't know what to think
about the sound changes.
2. Are there other LL variants/cognates?
3. My etymological dictionaries (Van Dale for Dutch
and Kluge for German) are very vague about the origins
of _Krug_ 1 and 2. Does anybody have some further
information?

Many thanks in advance.

Frank Verhoft

=====
"De perto ninguém é normal!" - Caetano Veloso

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Frank,

The _Herkunftsduden_ lists German _Krug_ (masc.) and _Kruke_ (fem.)
separately.  Old English, too, has _crôg_ and _crûke_, Modern Low Saxon
_Kroog_ [kroUx] (masc., pl. _Kröög'_ [kr9.YG]) and _Kruuk_ [kru:k]
(fem., pl. _Kruken_).  Apparently, the idea of German _Krug_
"crock/jug/pitcher" > "inn/pub" is Low-Saxon-derived, namely based on
_Kroog_ (1) 'jug' > (2) 'inn'.  Interestingly, this same semantic
extension happened in Sorbian (Lusatian, West Slavic), hence the
(German-spelled) surname (*_krek_ 'jug' > *krek'+m 'inn' > *krek+m+ar'
'innkeeper' >) Kretschmar ~ Kretschmer (my maternal grandmother's maiden
name), equivalent of Low Saxon Kröger and German Krüger "innkeeper".  I
guess English Crocker would be related to that too.  Or is that a
crock-maker?