LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.11.02 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Nov 2 23:23:31 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 02.NOV.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: robert bowman <bowman at montana.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.31 (01) [E]

On Friday 01 November 2002 08:28,  Reinhard/Ron wrote:
> What about "measure"? ?Do you pronounce it as "mayzhr" or as "mezzhr"?
?And
> what about "roof"? ?With a long "oo" or with a short one as in "put"?
?(The
> same goes for "hoof".)

A definite 'mezzhr', though my pronunciation of roof is variable, perhaps
tending more towards 'oo' particularly in a words like 'roofing cement'.
Hoof
is short, with a little longer 'hooves'. It's  odd to realize there are
quite
a few words where I don't have a fixed pronunciation, or similar words where
I am not consistent.

bob

----------

From: robert bowman <bowman at montana.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.31 (08) [E]

On Friday 01 November 2002 15:11,  Jim Gretch wrote:
> Regarding Ron's question, I also pronounce "roof" with the
> same vowel as "put" unless I'm speaking with an "out-of-stater,"
> in which case, I carefully choose the same vowel as in "proof."
> "Hoof" never changes, however.

I'm glad I'm not alone in modifying pronunciations. I have tendency to
reflect the accent and speech patterns of the person with whom I'm speaking,
but it isn't a conscious choice in most cases. For 'creek' though, I hear
the
nagging voices of a succession of grammar school teachers; 'ain't' and
'creek' were their two major obsessions.