LL-L "Sociolinguistics" 2002.11.19 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 19 15:35:07 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.NOV.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: ezinsser at worldonline.co.za ezinsser at worldonline.co.za
Subject: LL-L "Sociolinguistics" 2002.11.18 (03) [A/E]

Haai almal,

Stan skryf:

>Among the Lowlands language speakers above, what percentage do you think is
bilingual,
with the 2nd language being the other Lowlands language?

I think most Afrikaansspeakers in the cities are fully bilingual with
English the second
language.
White English speakers in cities tend to be less bilingual and many are
monoglot. On the
platteland Afrikaansspeakers are relatively bilingual at about 70% (older
people >70
years:less), English speakers 80% (older people >70 years: more).

>>Also, would there be a significant percentage of Afr or Eng speakers who
would have a
DIFFERENT language as their second
language?

Amongst rural Afrikaans speakers, very possible. It's likely a white farmer
who uses Zulu,
Xhosa, Sotho, Ndebele or Herero as second language instead of English. Or
perhaps an
Afrikaansspeaking Griekwa on the Botswana border speaking Tswana rather than
English.
Amongst English speakers possibly other European languages, and Sotho or
Nguni languages.

>>How likely would native speakers of Afr or Eng, but bilingual in both, be
to speak a
third language which might be Zulu, Xhosa, or another of the total 11
official languages?

In rural areas -90% -100%; in cities less so. Foremen at construction and
landscaping
sites are often required to manage a crew in a
'black ' language.

>>And would it be more likely that an L-1 Afr speaker or an L-1 Eng speaker
would speak
another one of the official languages?

I suspect it's more likely the Afrikaans speaker, (of all races). One of my
black
colleagues just verified that and thinks it has to do with being a rural
community.

SA Census stats can be found on: http://www.statssa.gov.za

Groete,
Elsie Zinsser