LL-L "Appalachian" 2002.11.19 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 19 15:37:25 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.NOV.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Appalachian"

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Appalachian
>
> I was indeed reminded of Scots quite often, even though the
> overall sound is
> quite different.  I noticed phrases such as _She laakt him awfu
> well_ (with
> [e:] in _well_) -- Scots _She liked him awfu weel_ (?) 'She liked him a
> lot.")  One man was mentioning the expression _ta daa off_ ("to die off")
> for 'to die' (yes, even in reference to a single person).  Does a similar
> phrase exist in Scots?

Ron,

I'm afraid that, as usual with Appalachian, I don't see any
Scots influence at all.

"Weel" is pronounced /wil/ in Scots, not /we:l/.

*"dee aff" - never heard it in Scots. Surely the Appalachian
form is just a generalisation of the English?

"Awfu well" - couldn't this just as easily be from the English
"awfully well"? Especially since the ubiquitousness of "awfu"
as an adverb in Scots seems to be relatively recent.

Appalachian, as I've said before, seems mostly derived from the
dialects of the south west of England. This includes the use of
the unturned diphthong as in "baa" = "by" and such words os "o"
and "afore" that just happen to be the same in Scots as in south
western English.

No matter how vast the army of linguists determined to believe
that Appalachian is heavily influenced by Scots (or that there
are pockets of Elizabethian English speakers in the Americas!)
I've yet to see any evidence.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

From: Moehle <Moehle>; Matthew <MoehleML at cadet.com>
Subject: LL-L "Sociolinguistics" 2002.11.18 (03) [A/E]

I would like to know of any info regaurding the dialects of South Georgia.
If anybody has any I would be much abliged. Matt