LL-L "Help needed" 2002.11.19 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 19 17:20:56 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.NOV.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Michael Arnold <marmanold at mac.com>
Subject: Should I learn Dutch?

I have been subscribing to this for about three months now and have
really begun to respect y'alls opinion.  Since my father was sent to
language school in the military to learn Dutch I have been interested
in "lowland" languages.  I wanted to take Dutch in HS, but naturally my
school did not have it so I was forced to take the next best thing that
they offered, German.  Currently I've been taking German for four years
and it has become my second major in college.  However, I still love
Dutch and would love to learn it.  I have one problem, though.  I only
have time to take one more language on top of my German and Business
classes.  Do y'all think that I should take Dutch or Russian.  Which do
y'all think would be more beneficial to me.  I'm leaning more towards
Dutch just because I love it, but would Russian be the better choice as
far a business goes?
As I said above, I really respect y'alls opinions.  I hope y'all can
help me out with this.

Thanks,
Michael (The University of Alabama)

P.S.-
Thanks to all of those that told me the origin of the word "Familie".
My class found it very interesting.