LL-L "Etymology" 2002.11.21 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Nov 21 16:27:47 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 21.NOV.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: erek gass egass at caribline.com
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.11.21 (01) [E]

I'm not sure whether this helps, or whether my comment is purely extraneous
of the matter of "penguins".  However, there is a perception on the part of
many persons that these birds are inhabitants ONLY of the Antarctic regions.
In fact, there are penguins living in a number of more temperate places, and
I believe that South Africa is a habitat for at least one species.

Erek Gass

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Erek,

I can verify what you said above.  Penguins are certainly common around New
Zealand and pretty much all along the southern coastlines of Australia.
I've been joined quite a few times by small penguins while swimming off the
West Australian coast.

<quote>
Penguins are flightless sea birds of the Southern Hemisphere. In all, there
are 18 species of penguins, found in South Australia, New Zealand, and off
the coasts of Peru, Chile, and South Africa. Some species live as far north
as the equatorial Galapagos Islands, but they are primarily cold-weather
birds. There are seven species of Antarctic penguins: the Adelie, Gentoo,
Macaroni, Chinstrap, Rockhopper, King, and Emperor. The Adelie and the
Emperor are the two true Antarctic species.
</quote>
http://www.asoc.org/general/penguin.htm

I think they mean "Southern Australian" rather than "South Australia."
"South Australia" is a state, and penguins are not confined to it.