LL-L "Language learning" 2002.11.22 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Nov 22 15:41:49 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 22.NOV.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Stan Levinson stlev99 at yahoo.com
Subject: LL-L "Language learning" 2002.11.21 (02) [E]

Gabriele,
They're just French, so they did it to drive you crazy indeed!!! (J/K)

----------

From: Brad Thiele <brad.thiele at mediacatalyst.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language learning"

I'm somewhat surprised at the reported problems that members of this
list have had as English speakers trying to speak (and keep the
conversations in!) a local language.

Over the past few years I've lived in both Amsterdam and Stockholm and
learnt to speak reasonable Dutch and Swedish respectively. In my
experience it was very rare for a native to switch to English, despite
my at times my obvious difficulties in expressing myself.  I experienced
generally a great deal of encouragement for my efforts and in most cases
it was ME who out of frustration who would switch the language to
English when I felt I couldn't cope any longer. (A true luxury in
countries in north-western Europe where you can be assured that you can
speak in English and be easily understood.)  Certainly I always sought
to maximise the novelty factor of the fact this Australian was
attempting to learn a language which wasn't widely spoken outside its
country of origin.  Can other members report similar experiences in such
countries (perhaps rather than say, Germany?)

On another note, but related to other discussion in this thread: When
living in Amsterdam, there were a number of occasions when out with
Dutch friends we were approached by people speaking to us in German,
e.g. asking for directions.  It was always I who was left to communicate
with these people, being abandoned by my Dutch friends, all of whom
spoke far better German than I!  Not sure if this is a similar example
of carrot and stick language policies or an indication of historical
animosity of the Dutch towards Germans.

Regards,

Brad.