LL-L "Language learning" 2002.11.22 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Nov 22 17:48:58 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 22.NOV.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Stan Levinson stlev99 at yahoo.com
Subject: LL-L "Language learning" 2002.11.22 (01) [D/E]

You know, Brad, I haven't been in the Netherlands for
30 years (and I'm not proud of that fact!!!), but I
remember the year I lived there ('71-72), while
teaching English, one of my students, a kind of retail
merchant-class guy, quite pointedly told me that if a
German asked him for directions, he would reply in
Dutch that he didn't understand!!!  I would have hoped
that another 30 years would have helped, but I guess
it goes back far!!!
I remember that I was somewhat influenced by this way
of thinking as well.  One day, I remember, I stood
outside the library in den Haag, and a late
middle-aged trio of Germans, one man and two women,
came up to me and asked me, in German, for directions.
 I understood perfectly, and having studied one year
of German in college, I could more or less answer
their question.  But as I found myself getting
frustrated trying to speak German (I must have been
absent for the lesson teaching "turn left at the
corner and go two blocks"), I heard this voice inside
me saying "Hey, you're in Holland.  They've got a
lotta nerve addressed you in German." Whereupon I
finished giving the directions in Dutch.
These folks were just innocent victims.  But you can
find ugly tourists among all groups (though we
Americans probably corner the market to some extent):
another time in my lovely, precious, unforgettable 's
Gravenhage, a German-speaking man came rushing up to a
friend and me, and, somehow NOT expecting us to
understand him, made gestures of eating and kept
repeating "Speiserestaurant...speiserestaurant".
But just so Ron doesn't think I'm bagging on Germans:
My first day in Europe, in 1971, I sat in the TEE
train from Luxembourg to den Haag, a train consisting
of all 1st class compartments.  My (then) Dutch wife
and I sat in a compartment with an American family.
As we came into the compartment speaking Dutch with a
friend heading for another seat, the man didn't know
we were English speakers.  After a few minutes, he
leaned across to us, and, as sweetly as possible,
said:  "You speakee English?"
Oy vey...
Stan