LL-L "Resources" 2002.11.22 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Nov 22 16:12:32 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 22.NOV.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: George M Gibault gmg at direct.ca
Subject: Resources

Bonjour encore une fois, you all!

Before getting to the linguistic atlas - a comment on German use. Once when
I was canvassing for a candidate in the rural area of Peachland, British
Columbia, I could hear the folks speaking German as I came up the driveway.
As soon as they saw a stranger coming, they switched in to English. When
they discovered I was canvassing for the candidate they supported they
visibly relaxed, and I could hear them joking in German as I left.

A lot of German families from Prussia and even pre-war Poland settled in
the Okanagan Valley after the war and were still nervous about speaking
German in front of others.

In Victoria, where I now live, there is a famous dog walk along the beach
called Dallas Road. In dozens of visits I had never heard a word of German
spoken there - but then, a week after the Berlin wall came down, I heard
three conversations in German by people who apparently didn't even no one
another. Suddenly it was good news to be German - and O.K. to admit it.

Ed makes a good point - to get purchase and general information etc. on the
Atlas of North American English and cd rom, go to
http://www.degruyter.de/mouton/atlas and links there; to get some info on
phonology free, go to http://www.ling.upenn.edu/phono_atlas/home.html/

I have heard some southerners consider it a sin to drink Bourbon with
anything but branch (spring) water. Somewhere I heard that bourbon with
cola and lime is a real southern drink too - perhaps in New Orleans? Has
anyone got any folklore or info on this?

best wishes George