LL-L "Language learning" 2002.11.23 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Nov 23 05:41:38 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.NOV.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Jorge Potter <jorgepot at caribe.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language learning" 2002.11.22 (06) [E]

Where the sociocultural differences
>are great, you will find that native speakers will often avoid speaking
>their own language with you, because you as a stranger do not fit into the
>local social tapestry, where relative social states of speaker and listener
>demand a certain language form, forms of address, etc.  If the native
>speaker can not speak English or another "neutral" language they will often
>avoid speaking to you altogether, even where you clearly do know their
>language -- not because they are rude but because they are *afraid* of

Dear Lowlanders,

I feel moved to respond to this thread, even though it has to do with my
experiences in a non-Lowlands language, Spanish. The Puerto Rican is
terrified he will be overheard speaking Spanish to a gringo. It entails
great loss of face, tantamount to admitting that you know no English. It's
worse, since I am tall, fair and blue-eyed and speak Spanish too precisely.
This last is the bane of all South Americans, who also get the gringo
treatment, even if they know no English. It was this situation that
suggested a personal, jocular solution.

If I am in the mood for it and somebody comes back at me in English, I ask,
"Ni hui shuo zhongguo hua ma?"

"What?"

"Ni hui shuo zhongguo hua ma? ¿Es posible que usted no sepa hablar español?"
Do you speak Chinese?    Is it possible that you don't know how to speak
Spanish?

"Claro que lo hablo. ¿Qué fue eso?"
Of course I do.     What was that?

"Chino. Es que yo soy chino. No entiendo el inglés."
Chinese. The fact is that I am Chinese. I don't understand English.

"No lo parece--no puedo creer."
You don't look like it--I can't believe it.

"¿Sabe? Otros me han dicho lo mismo."
You know?  Many have told me the same thing.

Somewhere along the line we will both break up and the problem is solved.

I'd like to comment that this problem does not occur in the big American
chain stores. In fact, in Home Depot the employees are required to say,
"Buenos días," to every customer they pass. Then if the customer responds in
English, they switch immediately.

Jorge Potter