LL-L "Language survival" 2002.10.01 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 1 22:12:02 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 01.OCT.2002 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Browne, Kevin at Astronaut BrowneK at brevard.k12.fl.us
Subject: language survival

Ron wrote:
This is what in my experience most people in the States assume when I talk
with them about it.  The sad truth is that it is *not* far removed from them
at all, that this sort of thing is not only happening in faraway countries
but, at a probably faster rate than in Europe, under their very own noses.
The indigenous languages of the Americas, especially of the United States,
are disappearing at an alarming rate.  I recently wrote about this.
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0208D&L=lowlands-l&P=R902
)

In your very own state, Florida, there are several severely endangered
(mostly Seminole) language varieties; e.g.,

Language:           Speakers:
Muskokee (Creek)    6,213 (*including* those of Oklahoma and Alabama)
Mikasuki/Miccosuki  496

Many are extinct (e.g., Apalachee, Hitchiti and Taino), and the Taino plan
to revive theirs by reconstructing it from records.

Please take a look at a list of surviving languages and the numbers of their
speakers in the United States:
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~jcamacho/363/nativetoday.htm

Note that there are still 10 speakers of Makah on that list.  Meanwhile
there is none ...

Ow Ron! I was writing about the lowlands languages, but your point is taken.
I have looked at the list you sent. Very interesting. Even though I have not
really had an interest in this languages your e-mail has piqued my interest.
Time is a factor and sometimes money, but I want to look into more now after
your "encouragement." Perhaps I'm thinking too "lowlands-egocentrically."
(my own word)

thanks,

Kevin Browne
Titusville, Florida