LL-L "Language survival" 2002.10.03 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 3 15:26:44 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 03.OCT.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: John M. Tait <jmtait at wirhoose.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language survival" 2002.09.30 (06) [E]

Sandy wrote:

>It doesn't follow.
>
>All your examples do is establish a trend - you also have
>to establish why this trend should persist. Although
>languages may be dying out wholesale, languages exist in
>many different situations and have a lot of individuality.
>Just because a population is declining doesn't mean all but
>a few will survive. It could even be said that trends are
>made to be broken because they carry the seeds of their own
>destruction, in the form of the idea that quantity produces
>quality. An increasing trend is a question of something
>being piled on steadily until something changes - a pile of
>child's bricks is just too high and finally topples over,
>the people rebel against the latest minor tax increase
>because some personal wealth threshhold has been crossed.
>On the other hand the qualitative change that finally
>results from a persistent trend can be productive - a
>critical mass is reached and things can begin to happen.
>
>Diminishing trends can be more predictable - instead of a
>critical mass being reached, the thing can get insupportably
>small and disappear. This is probably what raises concerns
>about language death.
>
>However, your examples also seem selective, in the sense
>that they all indicate diminishing trends. There are also
>increasing trends in Scots, particularly with written
>Scots - although a lot of the Scots written in the 20th
>century has been poorer quality than ever before, the
>"Lallans Movement" still established the idea that Scots
>doesn't have to be written as a dialect of English and in
>fact only really works if it isn't. The later 20th century
>also saw the publication of Lorimer's New Testament, which
>is in what might be the best Scots ever written.
>
>Although it seems as if Lorimer has been largely ignored,
>it actually represents a serious trend-breaking possibility.
>It certainly lays low the old idea that Scots is only suited
>to the writing of humour and reminiscences. How do we know
>there isn't some brilliant young writer with a reasonable
>Scots-speaking background who's capable of integrating the
>lessons in Lorimer with his own background to produce
>outstanding works in Scots that will be so good that people
>will want to read it in spite of not being familiar with
>written Scots?
>
>This sort of thing has happened before. Fergusson and Ramsay
>were writing very good stuff, and when a relatively uneducated
>genius like Burns came on the scene, there was Fergusson and
>Ramsay's Scots diction for him to study and become familiar
>with how to write Scots. Burns wasn't really recognised in
>his time, but within a century his works were on the shelves
>of most Scottish households, beside the King James Bible. The
>effect of even a single book like this shouldn't be underestimated
>in the preservation of a living language - I myself remember
>pulling the Burns book from my parents' bookshelf at an early
> [...]

There remains, however, the problem that most of the things you cite as
advances in Scots are totally unknown to the vast majority of the
Scots-speaking population. Those who do know about these advances are
perhaps just as (more?) likely to be monolingual English speakers, because
they inhabit the educational echelons where these advances are recognised.
What Scots speakers are more likely to come across are (a) Trainspotting,
and (b) Chewin' the Fat and similar programmes, both of which reinforce the
image of Scots as the language of (a) drug addicts, and (b) persons, shall
we say, of less than average intelligence. This leaves the problem which my
illustrations (um!) illustrate! The identification of Scots with 'low'
culture - an identification largely perpetrated by middle-class speakers of
English - reinforces rather than counters the tendency for English to be
associated with advancement and 'niceness'. And much of the 'Scots' produced
specifically in order to advance Scots and to prove that it can be 'nice' -
such as James Robertson's book on the Scottish Parliament - may be 'nice',
but unfortunately isn't Scots.

John M. Tait.

http://www.wirhoose.co.uk