LL-L "Delectables" 2002.10.03 (07) [E/S]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 3 21:54:25 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 03.OCT.2002 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Delectables"

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Delectables
>
> There must be thousands of recipes for _Pfeffernsse_, _Pepernt_ and
> _pepernoten_.  Usually, pepper is not one of its ingredients,
> though I have
> heard that someone adds black pepper to her _Pfeffernsse_, perhaps only
> because of the name.  The ingredients tend to be similar to those of
> gingerbread, but the dough is rolled into small balls before
> baking, and the
> baked balls tend to get some, usually white, sugar frosting or glazing on
> top.  Like gingerbread, they are hard and chewy (at least originally) and
> are (were) meant for long-time storage without refrigeration.  Like
> gingerbread, they count among traditional staple Christmas treats.

The traditional Scottish treat for Hogmanay is "black bun",
which is a heavily spiced, dense, chewy black mixture which
is made with dried frruit (mainly raisins, I think) a few
months in advance of eating, in order to give it time to
mature. It's wrapped in a shell of very thin, hard pastry
to trap in the flavour over these months. It's cut into
slices for serving, as gingerbread would be, although it's
very different. I wonder if there's any connection here with
Pepernööt?

> (I remember one of our Scottish friends--perhaps Sandy?--a long time ago
> telling us a number of ways of making and variously using Scottish
> _parritch_ 'porridge' other than eating it, and I vaguely remember it
> involved drawers (of the cupboard type, fortunately not of the underwear
> type) and other unexpected things.  I have to try and dig that one up from
> the depths of our pre-LINGUIST archive.)

This story originated about 25 years ago with a friend who
told me that his grandfather used to make porridge in a
drawer every Monday morning and cut a slice off for breakfast
each day of the week. This rang a bell with me, as if I'd
heard of my own grandfather, or great grandfather, or whoever,
doing this. I don't know how widespread it was or whether it
was just an eccentricity, but it seems logical in an older
generation where houses were cold (hence carvable porridge)
and fires took time to light in the morning.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: R. F. Hahn sassisch at yahoo.com

Sandy, Lawlanders,

Here's a bit that I found in the older archive -- nice, albeit not really
what I was hoping for:

<quote>
From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: LL-L: "Scots" [E/S], LOWLANDS-L, 31.JUL.1998 (06)

In message <Pine.A41.3.95b.980731140937.18386F-100000 at homer31.u.washingt
on.edu>, "R. Hahn" <rhahn at u.washington.edu> writes

> Cuid a scotophile Continental Saxon lik me dae it an aet it an still be
> tae the fore?  Wid it mak me mair Scotish or it least mair acceptable
> in Scotish een?  Wull it be the naitional mait o free Scotlan?  Is
> there a Scotish parritch cuikbuik?  Gin there's nane, whit for no?  Ower
> monie threips anent the cuikin an aetin and spellin o hit?
>
>So?

Ron, there'll be nae airgyment gin ye mak yer parritch the Fleimin wey!

Ye need:

1 (ae) bowle
1 (ae) spurtler
1/2 (hauf) mug o aits
1 (ae) mug o watter
saut
1 (ae) microwave oven (pronoonced "oaven")

Cowp watter & aits inti bowle, microwave on ful pouer for 2m30s, fling
saut in an gie it a steir. Onybody airgies, gie them 1 (ae) rap on
fingers wi spurtler.

That's what the spurtler's _for_!
</quote>

Cheers!
Reinhard/Ron

P.S.: A _spurtler_ (or _spurtle_) is a porridge stirrer.