LL-L "Delectables" 2002.10.03 (08) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 3 22:05:29 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 03.OCT.2002 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Floor en Lyanne van Lamoen <f.v.lamoen at wxs.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Festivals" 2002.10.02 (11) [E]

Dear Eldo,

> From: Eldo Neufeld <greneuf at interchange.ubc.ca>
> Subject: LL-L Festivals
>
> Holger Weigelt (in answering Thomas Byro) wrote about a festival in
Eastern
> Friesland called "St. Martin," in which children go from house to house
> singing, and receive gifts, among them traditional "gingernuts."  In
> Mennonite Plautdietsch tradition, a common reward, especially at
> Christmastime, for such activity would be what were called "Päpanät" (Ger:
> Pfeffernüsse, Eng: pepper- nuts).  Does anyone know whether there might
> possibly be any kind of historical connection between "gingernuts" and
> "Päpanät?"  The Mennonite Community Cookbook (c.1950) recipe makes no
> mention of pepper, but does call for peppermint extract.  Päpanät (after
> baking) are small, hard, candy-like, confections beloved of Mennonites
> everywhere (whether Plautdietsch-speaking or not!), primarily around
> Christmastime.  Any thoughts on the subject would be welcomed.

I do not know about the "gingernuts". But I do know that "pepernoten" in
the Netherlands are connected to the gift giving day Sinterklaas (5
Dec), which I suggest will be the origin of the Plautdietsch Päpanät. Of
course among the sweets that are given to children at "Sint Maarten" -
known in mostly northern parts of the Netherlands - are "pepernoten" as
well, but they don't play a key role.

St. Maarten was discussed on this list in Nov 1996. Let me quote a small
Grunnens LS song that was posted then by Erik Springelkamp:

 Mien lutje lanteern
 Ik sai die zo geern

 Ik loop langs de stroat'n
 da ken ik nait loat'n

 Mien lutje lanteern
 Ik sai die zo geern

Groeten,
Floor van Lamoen.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn sassisch at yahoo.com
Subject: Festivals

Here is a translation of Floor's Groningen Lowlands Saxon lantern song into
Northern Lowlands Saxon (Low German) from not that much farther east across
the NL-DE border:

   Mien lüttje Lanteern,
   Ik seh di so geern.

   Ik loop langs de straat'n.
   Da' kann ik nich laat'n.

   Mien lüttje Lanteern,
   Ik seh di so geern

The difference is mostly orthographic (Dutch- vs. German-based).  In many
dialects _she_ would be _seih_ [za.I] too.

Rough translation:

   My little lantern,

   I love seeing you.

   I walk down the streets,