LL-L "Administrativa" 2002.10.04 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 4 20:58:47 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.OCT.2002 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: R. F. Hahn <admin at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativa

Dear Lowlanders,

Here's some administrative business.  No, don't leave yet!  Underneath the
routine stuff is an "exciting" piece of news.

(1)
Since my last administrative message we have been joined by people from the
following places:

     Norway:
        Oslo [1]
     United Kingdom:
        England:
           Leicestershire:
              Ashby de la Zouch [1]
           ? [1]
     United States of America:
        Arizona:
           Chandler [1]
        California:
           Slo [1]
        Mississippi:
           Water Valley [1]
        Utah:
           Salt Lake City [1]

(2)
On this list we deal with various language varieties and list words that are
"foreign" to whatever language version of software you may be using.  A
couple of you use a "naughty language filter," which I can understand,
especially if you are protective of children that you give access to your
computer.  However, please be aware that once in a while a foreign word may
sound/spell like a "naughty" word in your language, and that the respective
LL-L mailings bounce back to me as rejected, apart from the fact that you do
not receive the offending mailing.  Just now I got one such a rejection
notification.  Unlike others, however, it would not tell me what the
protected address is, not even in the full header.  Annoying!  Well, it was
one of today's "Lexicon" (LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.10.04 (05) [E]) mailings about
the word ... I dare not write it ... for a crested bird in the parrot
family.  There are two possible "naughty" candidates in there, one in
English and the other in Dutch.  If you want to view it online, please go to
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html.

(3)
There are still some problems with Hotmail accounts.  Rudi Vári kindly
helped me by testing what filter setting causes the problem.  Our conclusion
is that it's erratic and nonsensical.  Banning new subscriptions of Hotmail
accounts thus remains in force.

(4)
Today I would like to unveil our project "Lowlands Talk: An Introduction to
the Language Varieties of the Lowlands."  I do so somewhat reluctantly
because the project is unfinished, albeit quite presentable, thanks to hard
work, especially that of Mathieu van Woerkom.  You can access the
presentation if you go to our homepage (http://www.lowlands-l.net) and go to
"Resources."  The direct way is as follows: http://www.lowlands-l.net/talk/
I suppose I need not say very much about it; you can tell yourselves what is
there and what is still missing, and also who did or will do what
(Acknowledgements), not to mention that help is still needed and how you can
volunteer.  Please bear in mind that some of the introductions and
translations are being worked on (such as the English blurb).  So keep
checking.  If you wish to help us, I can tell you what has not yet been
started.  Hopefully you will be able to tell that a few of us have done a
lot of work.  Praise and constructive criticism are welcome, volunteering
even more.  I want to thank all of you who have helped with the project,
especially Onze Mathieu, Sandy Fleming and Roman Laryushkin, who, with yours
truly, have been shouldering the lion share of the work so far.

Friendly regards,