LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.10.04 (07) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 4 21:08:28 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.OCT.2002 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Gustaaf Van Moorsel <gvanmoor at aoc.nrao.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.10.04 (05) [E]

Reinhard wrote:

> You see, I have to confess that I--naively?--used to
> assume that "cockatoo," German _Kakadu_, etc., were related to the Kakadu
~
> Gagadu ~ Gagadju ~ Gagudju people and the Kakadu National Park in Northern
> Australia.

Same here, and I still think this would be too much of a coincidence.
This reminds me of a Neerlands Hoop skit in the early seventies feat-
uring an Indian (Native American) tribe and their "zwijgzame opperhoofd
Kaketoe".  Sorry the pun is untranslatable.  Lest there be any doubt, I
am not suggesting this as an alternative etymology ...

Gustaaf

Neerlands Hoop was a famous Dutch cabaret duo of the 1970's
zwijgzaam = silent
opperhoofd = chief
Kaketoe ~ Kaken toe = jaws closed

----------

From: Friedrich-Wilhelm Neumann <Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann at epost.de>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.10.04 (03) [E]

Ron, Gabriele, Leeglanners,

Ron wrote as an  answer on Gabriele's frolicsomeness (the first time I heard
about the existence of a word like this [except some dog pellets], looking
into my dic! It's a really funny and basic expression!):

>or you can use the nickname _Böönhaas'_ (['bø:nhQ:.z] ~
> ['b9:nhQ:.z], literally "attic hare").

Don't try a new shifting this steeple way, please, in Your "spheric"
exchanges! *s*

De "Mieze-" (E: "mice-"?) -katze/cat wööer ne opp 'n Böö*n*, mann opp 'n
Böö*m*. Or gifft ook 'n "Böön" in anner snaaksche LS-Munnoorten?

Mookt blaut wieter sau! :-)

Kumpelmenten noo Jau beid!

Fiete.
(Friedrich W. Neumann)