LL-L "Resources" 2002.10.02 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Oct 5 18:22:16 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.OCT.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Ze?s)

From: George M Gibault <gmg at direct.ca>
Subject: Afrikaans tapes etc.

Hi!

Many thanks to those who answered my questions about cat terms and
Afrikaans phonetics. I hope I can be forgiven if I seemed too strident on
the topic of not starting with the lawyers and politicians in language
preservation. If I came off as insensitive in any way - that was NOT my
intention. My apologies. Does anyone have a good source for Afrikaans sound
recordings - tapes, cds, lps or videos?

I hope you will all take a look at Afrikaans at some point. It is full of
wonderfully humorous  expressions. (many perhaps common to Dutch, Vlaams
and Platt?)

In English we say for an unintentional giving away of a secret "He let the
cat out of the bag." In Afrikaans it is "Hy het die aap uit die mou laat
kom."" He has let the ape come out of the sleeve."   How can you not love a
language in which porcupine comes out as "skekelvark" or the equally
colourful "ystervark?"

Best to all George