LL-L "Resources" 2002.10.09 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 9 20:17:37 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 09.OCT.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Dear Lowlanders,

Not that we do not already have more projects than you can shake a stick at,
but I feel compelled to point you to an online audiovisual language
presentation in the Tanacross Athabascan language of Alaska
(http://www.uaf.edu/anlc/languages.html,
http://www.uaf.edu/anlc/langs/tc.html).  This might well be something that
could be applied to Lowlands language varieties, especially to those that
are rarely heard and those for which basic teaching material (especially for
children) is needed:

   "Fishing Place":
   http://archives.anlc.uaf.edu/langs/tc/fish/
   "What I Do":
   http://archives.anlc.uaf.edu/langs/tc/whatIdo/

And talking of "projects," let me remind you of our evolving Lowlands-l
companion presentation "Lowlands Talk":
   http://www.lowlands-l.net/talk/

One person said he had difficulties navigating the site.  Here are easy
instructions for those who need them:

1 --> Go to http://www.lowlands-l.net/talk
2 --> Choose the language you want to read in.*
3 --> Click on any Lowlands language variety on the left (or on the bottom):
      Afrikaans ( )
      Appalachian ( )
      Dutch
      English ( ) [being worked on]
      Frisian
      Limburgish
      Low Saxon
      Scots
      Zeelandic ( )
      Contact Languages

*   So far, there are more finished versions in English than in the other
    languages.  Some more are being worked on, and some have not yet been
    started.  We would be grateful fore translation help, especially French.
( ) not yet finished, but sub-categories may be finished

We could definitely do with some help:
   (1) writing brief introductions to Afrikaans, Appalachian and Zeelandic
   (2) writing brief(er) introductions to more specific sub-category
       varieties, also to various contact languages (creoles, pidgins,
       and other "mixed" varieties, such as Missingsch).
   (3) translate already finished versions into the remaining languages

If you wish to help, please write to me (sassisch at yahoo.com).

Thanks, and regards!