LL-L "Customs" 2002.10.10 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 10 16:23:38 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 10.OCT.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: George M Gibault <gmg at direct.ca>
Subject: Himmel Brief

Hi all! Thanks to Luc Ron, Marco, Floor, Gabrielle and others for your
great responses to my enquiries about lowland cat talk and Afrikaans! New
topic - my maternal grandfather said that in his youth  many German
speaking families in rural Ontario put up framed embroidered - sometimes
decorated - prayers they called Himmels Briefs - letters to heaven. He
recalled these were sometimes composed in dialect - often the only time
Platt or "Pennsylvania Dutch" would be seen written.

I myself have seen whole ballads of a religious caste such as "La Plainte
Du Juif Errant" (Lament of the Wandering Jew) and "La Passion de Jesus
Christ" ("Passion" meaning sufferings) similarly displayed in farmhouse
parlours in rural Quebec. Do other lowlanders have similar examples to
share? I believe some of the Huguenot relatives of my father's family also
followed this practice in Holland.

Alle die beste George M. Gibault