LL-L "Idiomatica" 2002.10.13 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 13 17:38:22 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.OCT.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <Godsquad at ev1.net>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2002.10.11 (03) [E]

Thanks, Ron. I love those idiomatic expressions with animals. I love
dialectology and idiomatic expressions!
God bless!
Ben

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Idiomatica

Ben,

I take the liberty to include in your thanks all the others that contributed
to this thread from the angles of Scots and a number of varieties of Belgium
and the Netherlands.

I provided the Lowlands Saxon (Low German) expression:

> - up (d)'n Hund kamen
>   ("to come/get onto a/the dog")
>   'to go bankrupt (due to mismanagement)'

There is a dialectal variant that may preserve the original version:

- up (d)'n Hund to rieden kamen
  ("to come to ride on a/the dog")
  'to go bankrupt (due to mismanagement)', 'to lose on'se shirt
  (= everything)"

And another expression:

- Hunnenmelk sagen hebben
  ("to have sucked/nursed dog's milk")
  'to be a sly/untrustworthy person'

There are also the following proverbs:

- Daar is keen Hund so dumm, dat he nich bellen lehrt.
  ("There is no dog so stupid that he does not learn to bark.")
  'Certain things are innate/instinctive/don't have to be learned.'

- Is de Hund över d'n Tuun, kümmt de Steert ook noch röver.
  ("Once the dog is across the fence, the tail gets across it too.")
  'Once the hard part is done, everything else will follow easily.'

- Kaam ik över d'n Hund, kaam ik ook över d'n Steert.
  ("[Once] I've gotten across the dog, I'll get across the tail as well.")
  'Once the hard part is done, everything else will follow easily.'

Note also the following compounds containing _Hund_ 'dog' (> _Hunnen_):

- Hunnendanss ("dogs' dance'") 'crazy affair/to-do/fuss/fight' >
_Hunnendanns
  up Socken_ ("dog's dance on socks") 'absolutely crazy affair/to-do/fuss
  /fight'

- Hunnenhandschen ("dog's gloves/mittens") 'fishy/shaky/suspicious
business';
  'untrustworthy person'

- Hunnenschiet ("dog shit") 'inferior stuff/merchandize', 'fishy/shaky/
  suspicious business'