LL-L "Help needed" 2002.10.13 (06) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 13 17:47:32 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.OCT.2002 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Norman Erwin <the_wiz_ne at yahoo.com>
Subject: help Translating a Letter

Greetings All,

I would be eternally grateful if one of you would translate this letter and
send the translation back to me: my (Norman) email address is
the_wiz_ne at yahoo.com  .  I believe it is written in a very unusual dialect
of Low German; a number of the words have origin in the language of Yiddish.
Thank you very much for your consideration. The Letter reads as follows:

"Mien scheena Jung,

Ekj kaun fal fonn diene weada goanijch festone. Ekj well die, oba ein dinkj
saje. Du haudst bata miene Dochta met fal respakjt be'haundle, wan du weest
waut goot fa die es. Wan du dit kaust festone, dan schriewe ekj die dat
naakjsta mol en enjelsch.

Danyelle aa Foda,

Jeff"

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Help needed

Oh-uh! That's a warning in "Plautdietsch" (Mennonite Lowlands Saxon/Low
German).  It contains no Yiddish words that I can find, though both
languages often seem alike because of the Eastern influences.

Here goes:

===
My dear boy,
I can't understand some of your words at all.  I want to tell you one thing,
though: you had better treat my daughter with a lot of respect if you know
what is good for you.  If you can (omitted: not?) understand this, I will
write to you in English next time.
Danyelles's father,
Heff
===