LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.13 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 14 03:09:04 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.OCT.2002 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Thomas Byro <thbyro at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.13 (10) [E]

OK.  My assumption had been that the lack of umlauts was restrictions
imposed on Yiddish by the Hebrew alphabet.  I didn't realize that ways had
been found around this difficulty.  Now I am back to square one, wondering
why Yiddish lacks the umlauts?.  And how Yiddish gets around the
difficulties posed by this lack?  But I am straying far from the subject
matter of this discussion forum.

As an aside, does anyone want to know what the word OK means and how it came
about?  I noticed my cousin Horst using it while speaking German, and his
native language is Plattdeutsch.

Tom

----------

From: Stan Levinson <stlev99 at yahoo.com>

Folks,
Of course Yiddish has "umlauts", it just doesn't
realize them as "ue" (I'll avoid diacriticals in case
it doesn't read right on all browsers) or "oe".  The
plural of "buch" in yiddish is "bicher".
I don't know if yiddish didn't carry the typical
German kind of "ue" and "oe" umlaut sounds, but it may
also have been affected in Eastern Europe by the lack
of those sounds in the contact languages viz. Polish,
Russian, Ukrainian, Belarussian (I don't know ANYTHING
about Lithuanian)?  No?
Stan