LL-L "Etymology" 2002.10.15 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 15 16:37:07 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.OCT.2002 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Ed Alexander edsells at cogeco.ca
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.10.15 (02) [E]

At 08:27 AM 10/15/02 -0700, George M Gibault  wrote:

  1. Andrew Jackson's semi literate shorthand for "oll korrect"
  2. "Old Kinderhook" knickname for President Martin Van Buren
  3. Initials of an Ellis Island immigration agent or similar bureaucrat
  4. secret society written equivalent of secret handshake such as Omega
Kappa
  Old Kingdom or Original Konfederate.
Actually, there's a much more complete list in L-L submission of 06.FEB.1999
(06).  I personally favor the Choctaw Indian origin of the word, since all
the others seem so contrived.  Perhaps Ron would like to resend this
excellent summary of a subject that has come up more than once over the
years.

  "Ah'd raither be a Lincoln man and kerrie a wooden gun
  Than to be a Rebel and always have to run."
As were about half my ancestors who left Virginia before the start of the
war and went to Lincoln's home state of Illinois.  And don't forget that
West Virginia (the most mountainous part of the state) actually seceded from
Virginia during the war!  I also recall that there was a whole county in
Tennessee that refused to send soldiers and Confederate conscription men
feared to enter.  I think the state motto of West Virginia is "Mountain Men
Are Free Men".  Sounds to me like a real Scots sort of thing to say.

Ed Alexander
JAG REALTY INC.
80 Jones Street Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8R 1Y1
Pager: 905-312-5204  Fax: 905-525-6671  www.jagrealty.com
ED'S FUNDRAISER PAGE: http://www.deerhurst.com/fundraiser