LL-L "Etymology" 2002.10.15 (08) [E/German]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 15 22:33:13 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.OCT.2002 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: George M Gibault <gmg at direct.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.10.15 (07) [E]

Hi!

Ed Alexander mentions the state motto of West Virginia - it is "Montani
Semper Liberi" Mountaineers always freemen. Parts of western North Carolina
formed the "Free State of Franklin" but it didn't survive the war. Similar
secession from secession movements were the Free State if Jones in
Mississippi and Winston in the hills of northern Alabama.

German immigrants to the United States were strongly recruited by Lincoln
with promises of homesteads after the war - and this largely explains why
so many German speakers settled the upper midwest and west from Wisconsin
to Montana..

The politics of the south broke down along union/confederate lines for the
next hundred years - so you could actually find the concentrations of
German speakers on a map of Texas simply by finding counties that
registered significant votes for Republican presidential candidates before
1950.

The German dialect of such union volunteers was even parodied (badly) in
the popular songs "Corporal Schnapps" and "Fighting Mit Siegal"

Cheers                          George

----------

From: elsie zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.10.15 (02) [E]

Haai almal,

George Gibault <gmg at direct.ca> wrote:
"Ron, I suspect falwark could be Prussian platt for pig-snare - cf.
Afrikaans
valvark but for the Yiddish connection."

I don't know the word 'valvark' in Afrikaans. It does not relate to either a
farm operation (which I assume is the meaning of falwark) or a pig snare.
That is 'valstrik' in Afrikaans.

Groete,
Elsie Zinsser

----------

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Etymology

Beste liëglanners,

The Polish word "folwark" and its Yiddish counterpart "folvark" have been
derived from the German(ic) word :

"das Vorwerk"

meaning (and here I quote Adelungs dictionary) :

"...das Vorwêrk, des __es, plur. die __e, ein von einem Landgute
abgesondertes und vornehmlich zur Ziebzucht bestimmtes Stück,
welches als ein eigenes Werk, oder eine eigene Anstalt betrachtet wird. Ein
Meierhof. Ein Vorwerk bestehet gemeiniglich aus
einigen von einem Hauptgute abgesonderten und mit den dazu nöthigen
wirthschaftlichen Gebäuden versehenen Ländereyen. Es
führet den Nahmen ohne Zweifel daher, weil es sich gemeiniglich vor dem
Hauptgute befindet; ob es gleich im Oberdeutschen
fuhrwerk lautet, und daher manche zu einer irrigen Ableitung veranlasset
hat, als wenn das Vorwerk eine Anstalt wäre, wohin
das Fuhrwesen von dem Hauptgute verleget worden, welches zwar in einigen,
aber vielleicht nur in wenigen Fällen zutrifft. In
Baiern heisst ein Vorwerk ein Schwaig. ..."

In the Northern Netherlands this is called a "voorwerk" or an "uithof".

It's definitely another word than "bolwerk" (D), "Bollwerk" (G), "boulevard"
(F) which is originally a construction (= een
werk) of "bolen aat" as we say in Brabantish (= "Bohle" + "Holz" in German).

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Thanks, everyone, for the tips regarding Polish _folwark_ and Yiddish
_folvark_.

Luc, interesting, that thing about _Vorwerk_ etc.  While this may well be
true, I am somewhat skeptical regarding the phonology of it.  I hardly think
that Polish and/or Yiddish would make German _...werk_ into _...wark_ or
_...vark_, since they would render _...erC_ as _...erC_. _Folwark_ and
_folvark_ would have to be derived from *_...wark_.  German (and Dutch)
_erC_ pretty much consistently corresponds to _arC_ in Lowlands Saxon (Low
German); e.g. _Werk_ = _Wark_ [va:k] 'work', _Werder_ = _Warder_ ['va:d3`]
'river island', _Zwerg_ = _Dwarg_ [dva:x] 'dwarf', _Berg_ = _Barg_ [ba:x]
'mountain', 'hill', _kerben_ = _karven_ ['ka:vm=] 'to carve', _fertig_ =
_fardig_ ['fa:dIC] 'ready', 'completed', _Lerche_ = (Lewark ~) _Lark_ [la:k]
'lark'.  Switching between /r/ and /l/ is not unheard of in LS, though in
most cases variation between [r] and [l] occurs in intervocalic "flap" /d/
or /t/ (e.g., _Butter_ ~ _Budder_ ~ _Burrer_ ~ _Buller_ 'butter'.

I'd therefore guess that _folwark_ entered Polish, yes, from "German" as it
was considered then, namely from Lowlands Saxon (via Kashubian?) and Yiddish
from Polish.

In fact, there is the LS family name _Vorwark_ (besides German _Vorwerk_).
Also, there was supposed to be a place in what is now Poland
(Gniezno/Gnesen, a little northeast of Poznan/Posen) called Vorwark, but I
have not been able to verify this and do not know the Polish name.