LL-L "History" 2002.10.16 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 16 14:56:32 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.OCT.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: fr.andreas at juno.com fr.andreas at juno.com
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.10.15 (08) [E/German]

Hey.
     The State of Franklin (or later, Frankland) was formed from counties
or territories in what used to be Western North Carolina, but across the
mountains! They were in what is now East Tennessee. The statehood of
Frankland (my preference, which I'll explain in a moment) was defeated by
Daniel Webster, a blot on his memory. This was rather earlier then the
time of the Civil War, and before the statehood of Tennessee in 1796.
     These men of Wautauga and Holston Settlements were organized under
Cols John Sevier and William Walker and Hugh Underwood (buried next-door)
and William Blount, later the first governor of Tennessee. The only
battle of the Revolutionary War that was fought in Frankland was fought
in what is now my back yard. The Treaty of Dumplin Valley was signed two
doors down.
     When I write that I am a Southern Appalachian, what you must
understand is that I am neither from Central nor from Northern
Appalachia. Southern Appalachia is the Blue Ridge, the Great Smokies and
the Cumberland Mountains of Virginia, Tennessee, North and South
Carolina, north Georgia and northern Alabama. It has nothing to do with
the Civil War, either. My family were Federalists. We don't say
"you-all." The plural is "yuins." We prefer to be called Ridgerunners or
Mountainfolk. If you're not one of us, please don't use the "H-word." I
had to call a man down for that the other day. Highlander is acceptable,
but not widely used.
     It might be supposed that we are a little prickly.
     Central Appalachia is Kentucky, parts of Ohio and West Virginia.
Northern Appalachia extends through Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York and
New England. Appalachia all together is a pretty big place with widely
diverging language and folkways.
     Lastly, why Frankland? Because it best carries the intent of what we
meant by naming the state Franklin as well, without the supposed flattery
to Ol Ben. A franklin is a free-holder. Frankland simply means the Land
of the Free. I am a Frankland seperatist, but we're not organized... yet.
     Nice to hear from you, Ed.
Yorn,
Avva Andreas (Richard Turner)

----------

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2002.08.06 (02) [D/E]

In message <3D5042C3.17CAB856 at lowlands-l.net>, From: "Friedrich-Wilhelm
Neumann" <Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann at epost.de> writes
>In the city of "Potsdam", very close to Berlin, You also can see very
>strong Dutch influences.

I visited Potsdam about ten years ago, and was very struck by the early
modern houses there which utilise the short wall anchor construction
technique which has its heartland in the Low Countries.  Is that what
you meant by 'seeing' the influence?  I think the buildings probably
dated from around the 17th century. It was dark, and I didn't take any
photographs, apart from one in a restaurant, which is decorated with
architectural fragments such as window-frames, taken from now-demolished
buildings.  I have not traced the eastern fringe of the use of the
construction technique, but it goes some way in to Germany (e.g. to
Bergedorf Castle in Hamburg, various buildings in Cologne).

I was told that the buildings were constructed by Dutch builders who had
been brought in with, or were possibly the same people as, Dutch men
contracted to dig a canal at Pottsdam.

If anyone knows any more about these buildings, or the history of early
modern Pottsdam, please let me know! I shall look in the areas Ron
mentioned to see what the buildings are like there, too.  I am very
interested in seeing if there are parallels which can be drawn between
the use of language and material culture: both in the original extent -
like Ron's description of the Linguistic Low Countries which extends
into Germany, the Building Low Countries extends there, and also into
the Pas de Calais.  And, the extent of continuity of the linguistic and
building tradition - did people keep speaking Dutch in Pottsdam for the
same length of time that they kept building 'Dutch'?  I am currently
building a database of buildings, which includes their longitude and
latitude, so that the data can be displayed through a GIS programme.

Best wishes to you all,

Pat
--
Pat Reynolds