LL-L "Resources" 2002.10.16 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 16 15:22:31 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.OCT.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Holger Weigelt <platt at HOLGER-WEIGELT.DE>
Subject: resources

Hello Lowlanders !
Following the recent discussion on festivities I've got the idea to start a
new web-project. It's just in the beginning yet - much has to be done
during long winter-nights to complete it - but probably You want to have a
look already.
If interested go to: <http://people.freenet.de/traditsjon/index.html>

Kumpelment
Holger

----------

From: Thomas Byro <thbyro at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.13 (08) [E]

Ron

I just thought of a contact who might be able to resolve this question of a
possible Judeo-lowland language.  This is Professor Stanley Ned Rosenbaum,
formerly professor of Judaic Studies at Dickinson College in Carlisle, PA.
My son Andrew and I remember him fondly from Torah study here in Carlisle.
Torah study with Ned was an intellectual orgy.  Ned immortalized Andrew in
his most recent book by citing him in a footnote based on an observation
Andrew made when he was 12 years old that apparently no one had thought of
before.

I could provide you with Ned's e-mail address, after sending him an
introductory e-mail, introducing you, or I could function as a sort of
middleman.  I think that you would find it fascinating and productive to get
to know Ned.Unfortunately, Ned no longer lives here, having moved to
Kentucky when he retired.

Tom

----------

From: Veturlidi Oskarsson <veturlidi.oskarsson at nordiska.uu.se>
Subject: Old Frisian

Hello,

I am new on the list and don't know what you have been discussing, so I
might be asking something that already has been answered. I wanted to ask
if anybody could tell me about the sources to Old Frisian. In dictionaries,
the period of Old Frisian is usually 1270-1500. But are there no older
sources to the Frisian language than from the late 13th century?

Greetings,

Veturlidi Oskarsson, University of Uppsala

----------

From: fr.andreas at juno.com fr.andreas at juno.com
Subject: LL-L "Songs" 2002.10.15 (01) [E]

Dear George and all,

     While there really is a hierodeacon of ours who used to be a
gnostic, it wasn't the religion he learned at his mother's knee. <grin>
Of course I never thought, George, that you were intending to say that
the hills were alive with Valentinians, Ophites and Basilidians. There
are some Waldensians left over in Valdez, NC, though.
     Witch lore? Yep. Witches? Probably not til after Gerald Gardner and
Sibyl Leek and that lot. I don't set much store by theories that have
strange survivals tucked away in these hollows. Such is the stuff of the
Silver John stories of Manly Wade Wellman but not of much fact. It's
rather like the reputation of George Pickingill in England... much
bruited yet still undemonstrated.
     The nonsense chorus of Old Bang'Em isn't so much an incantation, I
think, as it is a sort of dog-Latin. I poked fun at it and us, as is our
wont. Bibliomancy is the only sort of mantia found in these parts, based
on a belief in the (magical) power in the words of Scripture. I remember
that there is a verse in Proverbs that gets rid of warts, but I can't
remember which. I have seen a Civil War era Scripture-amulet purporting
to render the bearer bullet-proof. At least, there wasn't any blood on
the paper!
     The relation of Jove to jovial is causal, that is, etymological.
Joviality is named after the supposed astrological influence of his star.
As for Tore (maybe Tor?) wood, you'd need to ask a Scot.
     Most importantly, however, thanks a lot for the recommendation of
the resource material. Ron, mightn't some of that be named as an off-line
resource in our Appalachian section? It's certainly the right stuff.

Avva Andreas (Richard Turner)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn sassisch at yahoo.com
Subject: Reources

Veturliði Óskarsson:

> I am new on the list and don't know what you have been discussing

Welcome, Veturliði!  (What a lovely, romantic-sounding Icelandic name!)
Have you had a look at our on- and offline Frisian resource lists?  You can
find them under "Resources" at our site (http://www.lowlands-l.net).

Avva Andreas:

> Most importantly, however, thanks a lot for the recommendation of
> the resource material. Ron, mightn't some of that be named as an off-line
> resource in our Appalachian section? It's certainly the right stuff.

Sure!  I'd have to go back to the archive to retrieve it.  In fact, we
*should* have separate guides for Appalachian, so online and offline tips
would be greatfully received.