LL-L "Etymology" 2002.10.16 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 16 19:14:50 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.OCT.2002 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Browne, Kevin at Astronaut <BrowneK at brevard.k12.fl.us>
Subject: Etymology

Hello everyone:

From: Thomas Byro <thbyro at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L Etymology

The word OK originated in one of the early 19th century American
presidential elections.  I think it was that between Harrison and Tyler.
Anyway, one of them was described in the election propaganda as being a
rough frontiersman, a native of the upstate village of Old Kinderhook, which
was a frontier village in his youth.  Actually he was no such thing, but was
a member of the Dutch patroon class of upstate New York.  Anyway, during the
course of the election he was decribed as being "Old Kinderhook."  As the
election progressed further he was described as simply "he is OK."  It
amazes me how the word OK has gained acceptance among speakers of so many
languages and at how few people actually know what it means.

I'm pretty sure that "Old Kinderhook" was Martin van Buren.

Kevin Browne