LL-L "Resources" 2002.10.16 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 16 19:20:05 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.OCT.2002 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Wim <wkv at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2002.10.16 (04) [E] about oldfrisian.

Hi!

About old frisian:

>From wim wkv at home.nl

Hi!

Here is some really really old frisian:

Runic inscriptions found in the Netherlands.
About 25 Runic Inscriptions were found in the Netherlands, and specially
in Friesland.
Some are of Scandinavian origin.

1. Scandinavian coin, 11th century: "kunar amot thisae. (Gunnar owns
this stamp).
2. Iron key. Probably Scandinavian: "Anuars"  (Anvar).
3. Chess piece. "agerotra:mosel? / mahtelokpaetaerr??  (Machtelt and
Peter).
4. Bracket. "foRo glola"
5. Narval tooth, Scandinavian. "thuRh suaerri" (? Sverri).
6. Sword handle, bone. Anglo-Saxon runes. "iethemyka " (the meek).
7. Anglo-Saxon coin. "Eadnoth" (Name of a coin master of King Offa,
757-796 AD)

Friesian Runes, found in Flood mounts.  ("Terpen").

Usually written on Taxis wood, a tree which was considered special, bows
were made off its wood.
A book: "A. Quak, Runica Frisia, in: R.H. Bremmer. Aspects of Old
Friesian Philology, AbaeG 31-32, 1990. Page 357-370.

8. On a Bone Comb. "Eda".
9. Miniature sword made out of taxis wood, 6th or 7th century. "Edae :
boda"                              (Ed the postman).
10. Pieces of a walking stick made out of bone, 8th century. "tuda
awudukiusthu" (or maybe "awadukirithu". (Tuda).
11. Taxis stick, 6th century. "Thiniaeberetdud / [.]n : biridmi" (this
taxis always bares, .n bares me).
12.  Pen made out of horse bone. "iligliu".
13. Solidus. "skanomodu" Friesian, or English.
14. Bag for a comb.  "Murae".
15. Bone name tag, 6th or 7th century. "i : aehae : k" (I am Ahe).
16. Gold coin 6th, century. "hada".
17. Comb made out of deer antler, 7th century. "xnli"  (Miedema).
18. Comb bag. "l, and upside down l" (laguR, water, sea).
19. Comb made out of deer antler, 8th, or 9th century. "aelb kabu deda
habuku". (Alb did the comb for Habuku).
20. Handle for a sword or knife, 8th, or 9th century. "ekumaeditoka". (I
the un-maimed grabbed the sword).
21. Solidus, 6th century. "weladu" (Weland).
22. Weave sword, taxis wood. "adugislu : meth gisuhidu" . (Adugisl goes
with Gisuhilde).
23. Taxis stick, maybe a prayer stick, 8th century. "ophaemu gistnda
aemluth / iwim ostaehthuaen / iwiosustduaele". (At Opheim takes a stand
Hamlet, with taxis sticks a favor you get, with this taxis do us a favor
always"
24. Piece of bone. "inguR ngR" (?Ing).
25. Gold hanger, 600 AD "hiwi".

There are more.for example, a joker wrote "FM" on an old piece of
bone."Fries Museum".
However, these are probably fake.

For more information I advise e-mailing the Fries Museum.
http://www.friesmuseum.nl/

Well, that's all I could find about old frisian.  I hope thqat was of
some  help.
http://www.geocities.com/velikovski_project/Runic.htm

this page is also stored on my web page.    (Runic.htm)

Moi!

Wim [Verdoold]

(32)
From: Veturlidi Oskarsson <veturlidi.oskarsson at nordiska.uu.se>
Subject: Old Frisian

Hello,

I am new on the list and don't know what you have been discussing, so I
might be asking something that already has been answered. I wanted to
ask if anybody could tell me about the sources to Old Frisian. In
dictionaries, the period of Old Frisian is usually 1270-1500. But are
there no older sources to the Frisian language than from the late 13th
century?

Greetings,

Veturlidi Oskarsson, University of Uppsala