LL-L "Folklore" 2002.10.16 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 16 19:22:31 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.OCT.2002 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: George M Gibault <gmg at direct.ca>
Subject: witchlore and Appalachian songs

Hi all!

Richard doubts there were any real witches in Appalachia in early times -
and who am I to argue - he lives there! I only point out there was plenty
of LORE about them. For instance - a witch would complain soup was salty if
even one grain of salt was in the bowl full. An iron horseshoe over the
door might scare her off. She wouldn't touch real silverware either. One
county in south west Virginia was said to be "thick as fleas" with witches
at the time of the civil war (war between the states) - but Richard might
observe - shore - they're allus in the NEXT holler - never in yorin. Do any
other Lowlanders have traditional witch lore? We are getting into the
Halloween season after all.

Four more CDs I can wholeheartedly recommend for true Appalachian English:

1. "Nothing Seems Better To Me" The Frank Warner Collection Volume II
Appleseed Recordings

2. "Doug and Jack Wallin: Family Songs and Stories from the North Carolina
Mountains"
Smithsonian Folkways CD 40013

3.&4 Southern Journey Volumes 1 and 2 Songs From the Southern Mountains:
The Alan Lomax Collection Rounder CD 1701 and 1702

and three more videos:

1. "Appalachian Journey" Vestapol 13079

2. "Shady Grove" Vestapol 13071

3. "Legends of Old Time Music" Vestapol 13026

Finally, August House has produced a nice casette tape "Ozark Ghost
Stories" told by Richard Alan Young and Judy Dockery Young.

Don't be a feared of no haints now George