LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.18 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 18 21:21:17 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 18.OCT.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Szelog, Mike <Mike.Szelog at CITIZENSBANK.com>
Subject: Language Varieties

Hi Stan and all,

On 18.OCT.2002, Stan Levinson wrote:
"I don't find Boston "party" to sound like rest of the
nation "potty".  (For truth in advertising purposes,
I'm an ex-Brooklyn NY boy, but haven't lived there for
35 years; and have a son living in Boston).
I won't be able to do this with IPA symbols (because
I'm too ignorant), but if we compare:
General American: potty
Boston: party
(Ignoring NY: party which has a "lower" vowel than
Boston, i believe),
I would say that vowel length will give away the
Boston variety every time, though I also feel that the
Boston variety has a really "broad" quality, i.e. it
is also qualitatively different from "potty". "

Stan, I agree - the Boston accent is quite different from the rest of New
England - I can usually tell that a person is (or was) from the Boston area!
To my ears, they have a very distinct "o" sound - not quite the IPA "open
o", sounds something like the "aw" in 'law', but that's not quite it either
- sort of something in between the two.

Mike S