LL-L "Etymology" 2002.10.21 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 21 23:05:22 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 21.OCT.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.10.20 (01) [|D/E]

Lowlands-L heeft op maandag, 21 okt 2002 om 00:05 (Europe/Brussels) het
volgende geschreven:
> From: Wim <wkv at home.nl>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.10.19 (04) [E]
>
> Hi!
>
> These three words ( puin koorts and paling , have "no etymological
> explanation" according too my etymological dictionary.. (Koorts might
> be
> connected with a word in sanscrit ....)   ( j. de vries/ f de
> Tollennaere)(Het spectrum..   isbn 90 274 2947 2)
>
> However it's not Paal...nothing to do with paling,  (and palindrome is
> not the dream of an eel either.)
>  well, and they are typical Dutch words. Western Dutch.  (They might
> come from a substratum even, like for instance the word schaap is.  The
> Germanic word for schaap, sheep, being ewe, ooi.)
>
> Very interesting subject!
>
> Wim [Verdoold]
>
> From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
> Subject: Etymology
>
> Beste Theo (and other Liëglanners)
>
> Here's some etymological information (< Jan de Vries) concerning ,
>
> 1) PALING : znw. m., mnl. pâlinc, paellinc, ook paeldinc, paeldrinc.
> Het
> woord is uitsluitend nl. en blijkens de uitgang (zie
> : bokking) een afl. van een woord paal. - Mag men wegens de vorm van
> een
> dikke paling aan overdrachtelijke betekenis van paal
> 1 denken ? Moelijker kan men een afl. van het eenmaal voorkomende mnl.
> pail
> m. 'poel, plas' aannemen, dat met poel zou kunnen
> samenhangen.
> De vorm paeldinc moet wel als de oudste beschouwd worden, want de
> Palingdijk, een gracht tussen Bourbourg en Grevelingen,
> heeft als oude vormen Palathingadic (1111) en Paledhingedic (1123).
>
> 2) PUIN : znw. o. eerst na Kiliaen bekend, een specifiek nnl. woord,
> vooral
> in gebruik in Noord-Holland bezuiden het IJ,
> Utrecht, N-W. Gelderl. en Overijsel en daarom wel als jonge formatie te
> beschouwen. Verband met oe. punian 'stampen' (ne.
> pound) is daarom niet waarschijnlijk. De herkomst van het woord is
> onbekend.
>
> 3) KOORTS : znw. v., mnl. corts, coorts, curts, m. (zelden) en
> laat-mnl.
> cortse, curtse v., mnd. korts.
> De beperkte verbreiding van het woord maakt het zeer twijfelachtig, of
> men
> het verbinden mag met oi. jvarati (heeft koorts),
> jvara- 'koorts, smart' (IEW 479).
>
> They are intruiging words indeed, especially "koorts". In Brabant and
> Flanders "kortsen" or "kortses" (always plural ! and a
> short 'o') is the usual form. But apparently "kortsen" (pronounced
> kötsen in
> Brabantish) have not always been associated
> uniquely with 'heat', because Kiliaen testifies that in the 16th
> century
> Brabantish "koud wee" used to be a synonym of
> "kortsen". On the other hand there are words like "ne kaa" (B), "een
> verkoudheid" (D), "a cold" (E) that seem to blame chilly
> [...]
Dear Lowlanders
Here is some Flemish explanation regarding "paling-puin-koorts"

Paoling:
also called "aol(e)"
Remarks...
-In French-Flanders an "ale(aal)" = D: aar   (W)V: een auwe  E: ear (of
corn).
This has perhaps something to do with the simular form.
-Paol (paolew-paoluw)= D: blauwzwart.
  Sometimes also like in the E word " pale"  which is almost the
opposite.
Peuren (Peur'n):
Is to catch an eel with a "peure"(V)
For us this was fishing after eels with a net (never poking!)It could
also mean to fish  with a fishing-rod and bait.
People also used a "paolingschaore  (V)  or an  "olgeêr(ellekeêr)"(V).
These were scissors with teeth to catch eel  with it.
A "peure"(V) is also a bunch of earthworms on a stick to put into the
water to catch eel.
"peur'n" in Flemish also means to purify, but that's another history i
think.

Puin:
We say "pun" but i think that this is indeed a loan from  the
(North)Dutch word.

koorts:
We alwaeys say "kuts"
The plural form is seldom used anymore.
Sometimes one  can hear: kors - korts(e)
We have a saying:
-De koude kuts ein/krieg'n van... (E: to have the cold fever)=to have
an aversion to, from,for...
And:
-de rotte kuts = typhus
-de roô kuts = scarlet fever
-de raozende kuts = a person who wanders in his mind  because of the
fever.
PS: could it have anything to do with the Latin word  "curro" (to run,
to ride)

Groetjes,
Luc Vanbrabant
Oekene