LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.21 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 21 23:02:42 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 21.OCT.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.21 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L heeft op maandag, 21 okt 2002 om 20:08 (Europe/Brussels) het
volgende geschreven:

> From: Criostoir O Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.20 (04) [E]
>
> Dear all,
> "Whilst some regional variation is undoubtedly happening (Tasmanians
> tend
> to end their sentences with though, New South Welshfolk with but and
> Queenslanders and Territorians with eh. As in "Nice day,
> though/but/eh""
>
> "Eh" seems to be spreading heavily in Perth. I picked it up from there
> and
> now use it all the time, eh. Perth natives tend to see it as very New
> Zealand in origin, through a New South Wales medium, eh. :) I think
> it's a
> great tag.
And in West-Flanders in the "Westhoek" people alwaeys end their
sentences with "enni  [ {ne] " meaning "niet waar?"

Groetjes
Luc Vanbrabant
Oekene

----------

From: George M Gibault <gmg at direct.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.20 (04) [E]

Hi all!

I am really enjoying the chat on Aussie English. Some years ago I
discovered there are semi-comic books about broad Australian - which has
taken the name "Strine" an extreme pronunciation of Australian. I am told
something similar is published about the Charleston South Carolina which
has quite unusual vowels to the outside ear. Apparently the older residents
of the Outer Banks islands of coastal North Carolina share some of this
divergent accent as well. There are semi-humorous books about Southern and
Mountain talk - and of course Scots ("Awa and Bile Your Heid" is an example
of a recent compilation of Scots curses and insults.) Are there other
Lowland examples of this type of semi-popular dialect book or pamphlet? Do
people think on balance it is a good or a bad thing for language
conservation?

No worries                      George Gibault

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Hi, George!

(By the way, because I always pronounce written stuff in my head I've long
meant to ask you if your first name is pronounced English or French.  Please
ignore the question if it isn't my business.)

> I am really enjoying the chat on Aussie English. Some years ago I
> discovered there are semi-comic books about broad Australian - which has
> taken the name "Strine" an extreme pronunciation of Australian.

It is called _Let Stalk Strine_ (= "Let's Talk Australian" -- Ure Smith,
Sydney, 1965) and, a later work, _Let Stalk Strine and Nose Tone Unturned_
(Afferbeck Lauder, Al Terego, Australia in Print; ASIN: 0725406011; August
1989).  One phrase I remember from the former is "Emma Chisitt?" for "How
much is it?"  They are kind of silly (in part because of deliberately moved
word boundaries), but they are intertaining enough to have been sold well.

It is interesting to note that quite a lot of Australians lightheartedly
write "Strine" for "Australian."  Either they see some sort of justification
for that or they are going along with am baseless foreign joke.

Cheers!