LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.22 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 22 16:06:13 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 22.OCT.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Andrys Onsman <Andrys.Onsman at CeLTS.monash.edu.au>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.21 (03) [E]

To: George, Ron and all
Subject: Language varieties
From: Andrys Onsman

> I am really enjoying the chat on Aussie English. Some years ago I
> discovered there are semi-comic books about broad Australian - which has
> taken the name "Strine" an extreme pronunciation of Australian.

My bet is you'd enjoy Nino Culotto's "They're a Weird Mob" and
subsequent stories about an "English" speaking migrant learning to speak
"Australian." Culotto was actually John O'Grady a comedy writer with a
fine ear for language. I'm sure I owe whatever "Australianess" I have to
him. As it was written in the sixties, it's almost a historical piece
now, but it still entertains me enormously.

Good on youse,
Andrys Onsman