LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.24 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 24 14:59:29 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 24.OCT.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.23 (02) [E]

George wrote:
"I have heard that educated north Germans can be picked out by their
pronunciation of Hochdeutsch - my Brandenburg Prussian endocrinologist,
for
instance , says guten tach, not guten tak for guten tag - and he is an
aristocrat by birth. Can anyone tell me the other features of this
northern
"high" German? Or where I can read about it? Is it like "stage German"?
which I understand has a rolled rather than a gutteral "r"?
Curiously yours George"

Hi George,

I have nothing to add to Rons assessment of phonological interference
from Low German in the spoken Standard German of the North, but because
of my being an actor, I can tell you a bit about "stage German"
(Bühnendeutsch) which has often been called the only true spoken
standard of German. I would disagree here to a certain extent as to
whether it can be considered a spoken standard since many of its
characteristics are simply an over-enunciated version of a reading
pronunciation (Leseaussprache).

Some characteristics of "Bühnendeutsch":

- long and short vowels kept apart before /r/:
.)
stark - Stärke (short)

uvular /r/ pronounced;

.)
Fahrt - Fährte (long)

uv. /r/ weakly
pronounced or vocalised
(scha-offglide);

- long <e> /e:/ and long <ä> (E:/ distinct (whether
etymologically   justified or not => Leseaussprache! Reading
pronunciation); <Saal>
  /za:l/ - <Säle> /ze:l@/ - <Seele> /se:l@/;

- <e> = schwa in present participle pronounced: /- at nt/  also in
dat.sg. <-em> /- at m/ => <großen> /`gro:sn./ vs. <großem> /`gro:s at m/,

- analogical lengthening from the plural forms in historically
short-   vowel monosyllabic singular forms are the rule, as in Upper
German,   i.e. <Tag> /ta:k/ - <Tage> /ta:g@/, and not Middle
High German   /tak/ or Northern Standard German (tax/;

- initial <s> is voiced, except in loanwords, i.e. <sechs>
/zEks/ vs.
  <Sex> /sEks/.

Northern German influence is to be seen in:

- the /c,/ pronunciation in final unstressed <-ig> in <König>
/kö:nIc,/ vs. Upper German /könIk/ and <günstig> /gÜnstIc,/ vs UG
/günstIk/, (though some would also accept this pronunciation on
stage, it is not the rule, however).

- distribution of Glottal stop before word-initial vowels is
like Low   German, and quite unlike the Upper German dialects.

The rolled /r/ is no longer the rule and is heard less and less, and
considered to be quite affected. Generally Austrian actors get away with
it more easily as rolled or trilled /r/s are often in the phonetic
repertoire of Austrian Upper German dialects, and it thus sounds more
natural. It is rarly heard on German stages unless a degree of affection
or achaism is intended.
It is often heard when German is sung, as in opera, operetta or
Lied-Repertoire, rarely though in Musical, chanson, or Brecht-Lieder,
for example.

"Guten Tach" has a very Prussian ring to my Austrian/Upper German ear.

Greetings,

Daniel

----------

From: Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.18 (05) [E]

G`day,

   Generally I would agree with what has been said about the Aussie
vowels, however the "back" vowel/diphthong for standard E /ou/ retains
its diphthongal quality, thouugh fronted and slightly rounded, whereas
/i:/ and /u:/ have continued the diphthongal tendencies inherent to
Cockney high vowels. So /u:/ and /i:/ are realised with a more closed
(and rounded, in the case of /u:/) coda than the onset. The onset is
also substantially lower than the onset of most other varieties of
English (Cockney, Dixy and Southern Hemisphere varieties excluded).

Aussie shifts RP /ae/ to /E/ and /E/ to /e/, and /I/ to /i/. As
correctly observed New Zealand goes even further shifting /e/ to /I/ and
original /I/ to /@/ (= schwa/ in the Kiwi schibboleth "f at sh `n ch at ps".
Compare South African English and Afrikaans!

Striking in both Strine/Strayan and Kiwi is the reduction of unstressed
/I/ in  final closed syllables to /@/. Excluded /eks`klüyd at d/ -
/Iks`clüyd at d/.

Say yuh lider (ouside perception!!!),

Dään

----------

From: Stan Levinson <stlev99 at yahoo.com>

Since we are still dancing around the Australian
vowels (and I want Andrys to sit in his office at
Monash pronouncing sounds and freaking out his
neighbors), I would like to present the next exhibit,
your honors, namely, the humble sound /i/, i.e. that
one usually spelled "ee" or "ea", etc.
It seems to me that many Aussies pronounced words such
as "beat" (maybe I'm wrong on the example, 'cause I
haven't figured out all the limitations) with an /i/
that kind of starts with something else, something
more central.
Now here's what I wonder: while I know VERY little
about Irish and possible influence of Irish Gaelic on
Hiberno-English or other forms of English where the
Irish immigrated, I wonder if this sound in Australian
doesn't reflect something like the Irish (Gaelic)
"broad" sounds vs. the "slender" sounds (terms used in
an Irish book).  Basically slender there means that
the consonants are palatalized, while the "broad" are
not, and tend to make the vowels sound more rounded.
Any takers on this one?  Any folks knowledgeable of
Irish that can put me out of my "misery"?
Andrys: go into your office, and start pronouncing:
beat, feet, street, neat, meet, read, bead, ....
Stan

----------

From: Helge Tietz <helgetietz at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.23 (10) [E]

Concerning the Hamboich-pronounciation:

This is a common Northern German accent stretching
from the Rhineland to the Danish border which is based
on the Low Saxon tendency to pronounce all
post-vocalic g's as German ch, somebody from Duisburg
would call his town "Duesbuich", I myself do the same,
if we have almost lost the Low Saxon language in
Northern Germany, at least we can try to preserve some
distinctive accent in the High German spoken there. To
pronounce a post-vocalic g as ch is actually correct
German, in particular in words as "Koenig", please
check the "Duden" (the standart German dictionary) for
this. Sometimes foreigners who learn German have a
tendency to be hyper-correct, I have heard foreigners
pronouncing the town of Rostock as "Roschtock", though
German is fairly phonetic in compare to English it
still has a lot of deviations !