LL-L "Etymology" 2002.10.24 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 24 15:05:55 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 24.OCT.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Mike Aryunov <kraai at mail.ru>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.10.23 (09) [E]

Hi Lowlanders,

At a first glance the word resembles the High German 'Knopf' with the
similar meaning. So we can deduce: Knopf > knop[ka], where -ka is a
diminutive suffix.
On the other hand 'p' instead of 'pf' makes me think of Lowlandic rather
than High German or Yiddish. The other possibility may be that 'pf' is very
uncommon for Russian so it might have been modified by natives. It is
interesting that -ke as diminutive is used also in Frisian (West & East) and
Low Saxon. The West Frisian word for button is 'knopke'.