LL-L "Labels" 2002.10.26 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Oct 26 17:35:41 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 26.OCT.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Leslie Decker <leslie at volny.cz>
Subject: LL-L "Labels" 2002.10.25 (05) [E]

but a conservative Democrat can be
> called either a Tory Democrat (at least in some southern states - or -
once
> more with colour - a blue dog or blue dog Democrat!"

> Alle die beste                  George
>
> -

I don't know about other areas of the American south, but in Texas we always
say 'yellow-dog Democrat,' meaning 'I'd rather vote for a yellow dog (or a
'yeller' dog in certain areas) than a Republican.'  Yellow dogs have been
slowly dying out since the 60s, when the Democrats aligned themselves with
the civil-rights movement.

Groetjes
Leslie Decker

----------

From: "Ian James Parsley" <parsleyij at ukonline.co.uk>

George,

Thanks for that, fascinating!

Of course, since Kim Campbell in the late 80s Canadian politics has gone
from being fairly straightforward for the outsider (particularly one used
the UK system) to being an utterly incomprehensible minefield!

In Great Britain the colours are seldom used, other than 'true blue' for
(fairly right-wing) Conservative and the attributive adjective 'red' (as
in
'Red Ken', for London Mayor Ken Livingstone who won as an independent but
was beforehand on the left of the Labour Party). 'Tory' is shorthand for
'Conservative', and not necessarily derogatory. The 'Liberal Democrats'
(formerly 'Social and Liberal Democrats') are often known as the
'Liberals'
or, more commonly and probably more accurately, as 'LibDems' (so spelled).
If someone is 'liberal' that is usually a sociological stance, if they are
'a liberal' that means almost certainly a supporter of the 'LibDems'. (The
British LibDems are considered left-wing, for the British Columbians among
you!)

In Scotland, of course, you get 'the Nats' for the Scottish Nationalists,
also occasionally in Wales for supporters of Plaid Cymru.

In Northern Ireland... let's not go there just now!

Of course, the colours themselves vary across Europe. In Germany the
conservative CDU/CSU is usually marked in black, but one also sees light
blue (for example on www.election.de), and a supporter may be 'schwarz' -
but of course if he travels 'schwarz' that means using public transport
without paying! In Austria this is certainly the place - certainly
pre-Haider people were 'schwarz' (for the conservative OVP) or 'rot' (for
the social-democrat SPO) almost as zealously as they are 'Protestant' or
'Catholic' in Northern Ireland (but thankfully without the arms!) In the
German-speaking world you then get a whole series of coalitions -
literally
'red-green' (Social-Democrat/Green), 'red-yellow'
(Social-Democrat/Free-Democrat[right-wing Liberal]), 'black-yellow'
(conservative-Free-Democrat) etc - even 'red-red' in the east
(Social-Democr
at/PDS[ex-communist])

Now to square this circle for Lowlanders, we may return to the general
different uses of colours. For example, in English you have a 'black eye',
but in Scots as in German you have a 'blue eye'. Scots these days even
seems
to distinguish in usage between terms using 'blae' and others with 'blue'.
We may go on - what colour is a tennis ball (yellow or green)? What colour
is the sea (blue, green or grey)?

Regards,
Ian James Parsley
Co Down, N. Ireland.