LL-L "Phonology" 2002.10.26 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Oct 26 17:53:23 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 26.OCT.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Wim <wkv at home.nl>
Subject:  LL-L "Phonology" 2002.10.25 (05) [E]

Hi...

Well,...  about how foreigners handle the pronouncing of names....   the
BBC and CNN have hired a chimpanzee to figure out how to pronounce Dutch
names in news items. (Or it's a computer...?)  I have heard.
So I can imagine what they are doing to other languages.... If they
can't even handle simple Dutch....

Bye!

Wim    wkv at home.nl
[Wom Verdoold]

----------

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Dear All

Just a couple more - there's always the Americans'
pronunciations of place names like 'Blenheim' as if it
were a German word, instead of 'Blennam' as we'd say
in England, and also 'Worcestershire' given it's full
value instead of England English, 'Woostersheer'. But
then again I always say Michigan with a 'ch' instead
of a 'sh' which I'm sure makes a number of Americans
smile, and every time I see 'Yosemite' I say it
'Yos-a-mite' before I realise it's 'Ya-se-ma-tee'!

And why do Germans always spell my name with two
r's?... :)

Gary

----------

>From Daniel Prohaska (daniel at ryan-prohaska.com)
Subj.: LL-L "Phonology"

Re.: Bash-the-boche-day;

No offence, but it`s best to get it out of the system once in a while
and be totally unscientific about it. We´re all second, third, and
fourth (or more) language learners, and we know what it means to acquire
the pronunciation of a foreign language or dialect. And once we pat
ourselves on the back an realised how great we are, we open our mouths,
and first question we get is "Where are you from...?"

Dan