LL-L "Help needed" 2002.10.29 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 29 23:00:53 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 29.OCT.2002 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: R. F. Hahn sassisch at yahoo.com
Subject: Help needed

I have received a request (below) to date signatures that, according to the
description given, are Dutch (probably not Lowlands Saxon/Low German, which
would have _book_ or _bouk_ rather than _boek_).  If anyone can help with
dating early Dutch signatures, please contact Daniel Rettberg
(drettberg at huc.edu) directly.

I wonder if the said book was taken or sent from Italy to then still young
Sephardic community of the region that now encompasses the Netherlands and
Northern Germany.  It certainly sounds most fascinating.

Thanks and regards.
Reinhard/Ron

===

I am writing to you on the recommendation of Prof. Stephen Crist at Emory
University.  I have a small Rabbinic piece (Pirke Avot) in Hebrew with
Ladino translation, printed in 1601, probably in Venice. Unfortunately, it
has lost its title leaf, and I am checking every "angle" I can to discover
its history. The endpapers have several inscriptions, mostly names of
previous owners. Interestingly enough for a book that may have had its
origins in Italy and that has a Judaeo-Spanish translation accompanying it,
these names are all Germanic in nature. One has written, "Dat is m... boek,"
in what appears to be a Dutch or Low German dialect. I would like to find
someone capable of dating the signatures based on handwriting style,
spelling, etc. Do you know someone familiar enough with seventeenth and
eighteenth century German hands to be able to assist me?  I can send
photocopies of the inscriptions.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to offer.

Daniel J. Rettberg,
Senior Associate Librarian
Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion
Klau Library
Cincinnati, OH

drettberg at huc.edu