LL-L "Language survival" 2002.10.30 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 30 15:35:12 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 30.OCT.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Thomas Byro <thbyro at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language survival" 2002.10.28 (03) [D/E]

To Marco:

I would suspect that the turning point for the Dutch spoken by the Jackson
Whites came with WW II.  At least, this seems to have marked the turning
point for many other linguistic islands in the USA.  I used to own a house
on a mountaintop in the Catskills and several of my neighbors who were born
just before or after WW II told me that Dutch was spoken in their homes as a
daily language when they were growing up.  German too.  The area supported a
local German newspaper that lasted until the 1960's.

By the way, the Jackson Whites in appearance are largely of European decent.
They are very mixed, however.  Squeek deGroat had dusky skin and a bit of
kinkiness in his hair but had European facial features.  His cousin, the one
with six fingers, had light blond hair and blue eyes. You can't really
absolutely tell a Jackson White by appearance.

Tom