LL-L "Etymology" 2002.10.30 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 30 20:12:17 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 30.OCT.2002 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Andy (Scots-Online) <andy at scots-online.org>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.10.29 (05) [E/S]

> From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
> Subject: "Vocabulary"
>
> This submission is about rude words, so don't read on if you
> don't like this sort of thing.
>
> I've been wondering about everyday words that many people
> consider to be rude, especially if, because of their status,
> they rarely appear in traditional literature.
>
> My contributions will be with respect to how this sort of
> thing is said in my own dialect of Scots. The questions are:
>
> 1. Are the same words used in other dialects of Scots, or
>    are my own ones non-standard?
>
> 2. How are they said in other Lowlands languages? Are there
>    unexpected similarities?
>
> "F" and "C" Words:

Same Here. A cam ower the 'C' wird clunge, A dinna ken it it micht juist be
slang.

>Fart
> This is the same as in English, though of course pronounced
> /fQ:r?/. I was surprised to find that in England and Wales
> this isn't considered particularly rude, which makes sense
> as it's a very necessary word. In my area of Scotland, however,
> it would be more usual to substitute a euphemism.
Fairt/Fert?
<sned>

> "Tits"
>
> In my area this is "dous" /du:z/, which, taken literally,
> means "doves". However, "dou" in the singular is a term of
> endearment for a woman, and not offensive at all, as used
> in the drinking song "Toddlin Hame":

 Paps, The place name Paps O Jura. Mebbe no rude, juist colloquial.

> "Penis"
>
> "Tossle" /tos=l/ seems to be the most usual way of saying
> this in Scots: not as rude as some alternatives, yet not
> as polite as some. It literally means "tassle", and "tossle"
> is also used for tassles such as you see hanging from curtains
> and so on. A child's penis is refered to as a "peep" /pip/ in
> my dialect.

Pintle, tadger

Andy Eagle