LL-L "Literature" 2002.10.31 (09) [E/S]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 31 23:12:56 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 31.OCT.2002 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Labels"

> From: George M Gibault <gmg at direct.ca>
> Subject: LL-L "Labels" 2002.10.28 (09) [E]
>
> reference to Hotspur and the Northumbrian uvular "r") to emphasize the
> peculiarities of their regional speech. I have never heard a Scottish
> sounding MacBeth let alone (little own?) a Gaelic accented one.
> Any thoughts or experience of dialect in Shakespeare?    ps Saint Jacobs
> Ontario where my maternal grandfather was born is still so German many
> people jokingly refer to it as Yakobstrudel (a take off on "Jacob's
> stettel.)

English West Country people (speakers of the Wessexian dialects)
complain about Shakespearian actors' use of "do", where it's used
as an auxiliary, eg "She do talk perdy" (not being able to think
of an example from Shakespear, I make up my own!). I think this
gives a sort of continuous tense, but anyway, the "do" shouldn't
be emphasised, it should be pronounced with a schwa, or elided to
the following word if it begins with a vowel.

There is a Scots translation of Macbeth by R L C Lorimer
(Canongate Press, 1992) ISBN 0 86241 389 3. I quote:

Thunner an lichtning:
Ben comes the Three Weirds.

WEIRD I     Whan will hiz three meet agen?
            In binnerin flauchts o fire or renn?
WEIRD II    Whan the tuilyie-muilyie's dune,
            an the bargain's tint or wun.
WEIRD III   That sall tide gin darkening.
WEI RD II   Whaur convene ye our meeting?
WEIRD I     Tryst wi me on Hardmuir, neth
            our wee hillock.
WEIRD III   Tae hailse MacBeth!
WEIRD I     Horse an hattock, horse an ride!
WEIRD II    Comin, Bawtie!
WEI RD III  Puddock cries, belyve, belyve!

Aa three Weirds [skailin]
            Fair be foul, an foul be fair,
            flicher i the smoch an smitten air!
                                        [But gae they aa.