LL-L "Orthography" 2002.10.31 (11) [E/S]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 31 23:37:28 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 31.OCT.2002 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Daniel Prohaska <daniel at ryan-prohaska.com>
Subject: LL-L "spelling" 2002.10.30 (12) [E/S/LS]

Dear Scots Lowlanders,

Are there any attemps made in Scotland to reform Scots spelling? It is
my impression that Scots spelling is very inconsistent (as is English)
and that the Middle Scots orthographic practises are only partially
retained whereas English-based trasliterations similar to English
dialect orthographies are often intermingled with the older Scots forms.
Do Scots speakers with the ability to write Scots feel their
orthographical traditions to be separate from Standard English in
Scotland, or are there attemps to reintegrate older spellings and bring
back what has been replaced by English dialect orthography ( I
specifically mean the <oo>-spellings; or are they felt to be Scots?).
Have there been attempts to "start from scratch" and invent an entirely
new Scots orthography based on phonological analasys, or supra dialectal
forms?

Yours, Dan