LL-L "Resources" 2002.09.02 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Sep 3 00:02:29 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 02.SEP.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>, Email: <admin at lowlands-l.net>
 You have received this because you have requested subsciption. To leave
 the list, please send the command "signoff lowlands-l" as message

From: "Ian James Parsley (Laptop)" <parsleyij at ukonline.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2002.09.01 (03) [E]

Indeed I should take this opportunity to congratulate Colin on a fine
achievement! This has been a long and bumpy road, but it'll be worth it
in
the end.

I've only seen the initial copy, and no doubt it has changed a bit
since,
but I can say this book will be a truly excellent resource and a welcome
contribution to the Scots language cause, promoting genuine good Scots
in
way that is both easy to understand and entertaining to read. Colin's
particular achievement is to unify 'Scots', for although he promotes his
own
brand (by necessity), he does not limit the book to a discussion of
Doric
(ie the Scots of NE Scotland), but rather, wisely and in my opinion
successfully, illustrates that it is one variety of many within the same
language. This sort of unity is essential to the language's survival,
but
Colin shows that it need not come at the expense of pride in one's
particular dialect.

I am sorry not to be able to make the launch (I should've liked to see
the
all-Scots menu too - another day perhaps!), but I'm sure it will be a
fine
occasion. Colin can be justly proud that finally the finishing line has
come into view!

Regards,

Ian James Parsley