LL-L "Resourcese" 2002.09.11 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 12 04:47:40 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.SEP.2002 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Bil Hawkins <greatgoomph at yahoo.com>
Subject: Scots grammar text

I love your site and am amazed at the variety, respect, and the common
sense shown to language use. There was a Scots Grammar mentioned as
being published today, I think [9-11-02]. Would it be possible to post
where one might purchase a copy and if VISA or travellers cheques or
whatever can be used? I am really looking forward to buying a copy.
Thank you for a really excellent site. Best Wishes

Bil Hawkins

----------

Hi. Bil, and welcome!

Thanks for your kind words about LL-L.

Below please find relevant excerpts from recent posting.

You should be able to order the book and CD thought a bookstore, online,
by telephone or in person.  I personally am ordering it through our
University Bookstore here in Seattle, partly because they tend to be
rather reliable, don't charge for shipping and handling, give me a 7.5%
discount in July, ship books for only the cost of postage, and they
usually order more than one copy (which is nice because it may promote
Scots among those who regularly haunt the language section).  Any
bookstore can help you as long as you have at least the ISBN number.

Cheers!
Reinhard/Ron

===

LL-L "Resources" 2002.09.01 (02) [E]
From: Colin Wilson <lcwilson at btinternet.com>
Subject: Resources

I know that no commercial advertising is allowed on this list; but
I hope I will be allowed to say that those interested in
learning Scots may see something to their advantage at the following

If anyone has any questions, I'll gladly take them by private e-mail.

Guidwull tae awbodie,
 Colin Wilson                  the graip wis tint, the besom wis duin
                               the barra wadna row its lane
 writin fae Aiberdein,         an sicna soss it nivver wis seen
 the ile capital o Europe      lik the muckin o Geordie's byre

LL-L "Resources" 2002.09.10 (02) [E]

From: "John M. Tait" <jmtait at wirhoose.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2002.09.06 (03) [E]

Dear Lowlanders.

Yesterday evening I attended a signing, by Colin Wilson, of his long
awaited Scots primer, the Luath Scots Language Learner.  I think he's
already announced this on Lowlands-L, but if Ron will permit I'll just
remind everybody, and at the same time recommend it rather more
effusively than Colin could do himself! For anyone - Scottish or
otherwise - wanting to learn or even just learn about Scots, this really
is indispensible, and the accompanying CD of the dialogues in the book
is excellent. In an ideal world, this would be a huge step forward in
the promotion of Scots, and we can only hope that it will be widely used
and recommended. For some reason - possibly congenital stupidity - I
can't find the ISBN number on my copy, but if you contact Colin I'm sure
he can tell you where to get one.

John M. Tait.

http://www.wirhoose.co.uk

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

John Magnus,

According to Amazon.co.uk, which posted a reference prior to publication
(and seems to have listed the incorrect price),* the ISBN number is
094648791X.  This may be incomplete, but it may help in ordering.  At
least that's what I'll give our bookstore when I order it.

Cheers!
Reinhard/Ron

*
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/094648791X/qid%3D1031667920/026-2660817-8982067

===

LL-L "Resources" 2002.09.10 (04) [E]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

I just had it from the horse's mouth
(http://www.luath.co.uk/book/language_scotslearner.htm) that the ISBN
Number of Colin's book and CD is is 1 84282 026 5.