LL-L "Language use" 2002.09.11 (05) [D/E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Sep 12 04:30:25 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.SEP.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Stan Levinson <stlev99 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2002.09.11 (04) [D/E/V]

I would like to add, to Luc's comments, that I think
it is great that people write in their own language,
but, if they speak a language which is less widely
disseminated, and not easily guessed, it is helpful to
see something in a language which is probably a lingua
franca.
I don't think it's such a problem that English is the
lingua franca (of course, I'm a native English
speaker...).  I realize that the English language is
associated with a lot of CULTURAL imperalism, mostly
in the form of vapid exportations of the worst aspects
of American culture, but we don't need to indulge that
here.
On the other hand, I LOVE reading stuff in all these
languages, and try to work it out based on my
knowledge of English and Dutch, but a BRIEF summary in
English, if the writer is capable, would be much
appreciated.
Ik kan dit ook proberen in het Nederlands te
schrijven, maar er is wel het risico dat iemand zich
dood lacht...
Best wishes to all.
Stan Levinson