LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.09.13 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 13 18:48:32 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.SEP.2002 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: "Thomas Byro" thbyro at earthlink.net
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.09.12 (06) [E]

That makes sense.  A top. The circumstances were that we saw a man in
running shorts, making all the motions of a track star but progressing only
at the pace of someone taking a leisurely walk.  I heard my mother muttering
" ehr rennt wie n Dilldopp."

I grew up in Rahden, right on the border with Espelkamp, in Westphalia.
Platt was the language of everyday speech in my area.  Although my mother
was a native of Essen, her family had had a country place in Rahden when she
was a child.  In any event, she seemed to appreciate the pungency of many
Platt words and expressions.

So Dilldopp may or may not be Platt.

My mother remembered fondly watching my friend Erika and I as little
children, clattering off in our wooden shoes to a funeral in Espelkamp and
chanting:

Lot is doot
Lot is doot
Lisbet is am sterben
Hoer mich an
Hoer mich an
Is noch wat zu erben.

Have you ever heard this song before and do you know how it goes on from
there?

Tom

-----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Tom,

We have that ditty in Lowlands Saxon (Low German) as well.  I'm not sure
which version is the older one.  I suspect it isn't the German one (because
this _Hör mich an_ "Listen to me" sounds forced).  It's one of the old-time
dancing songs.  Dancers would make their own music: they sang and danced at
the same time, and for the sake of good cheer they would prefer silly or
naughty lyrics.

So here goes one of the best-known ones:

     Lott is dood!

     Lott is dood!

     Liese liggt in d'n Graven!

     Laat ehr man!

     Laat ehr man!

     Denn gifft dat wat to arven.

Phonetic:

     lOt ?Is doUt

     lOt ?Is doUt

     'li:ze lICt In: 'grQ:vm=

     lQ:t e:3 ma.n

     lQ:t e:3 ma.n

     dEn gIfdat vat toU ?a:vm=

My translation:

     Lott* is dead!

     Lott* is dead!

     Lizzie's lyin' in the ditch!

     Let her be!

     Let her be!

     Then there'll be something to inherite.

 ___

* Charlotte

Cheers!

Please submit postings to <lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>. * Postings
will be displayed unedited in digest form. * Please display only the
relevant parts of quotes in your replies. * Commands for automated functions
(including "signoff lowlands-l") are   to be sent to
<listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org> or at
<http://linguistlist.org/subscribing/sub-lowlands-l.html>. * Please use only
Plain Text format, not Rich Text (HTML) or any other   type of format, in
your submissions