LL-L "Pronouns" 2002.09.15 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Sep 15 22:18:43 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.SEP.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: erek gass <egass at caribline.com>
Subject: LL-L "Pronouns" 2002.09.15 (01) [E]

>From: Charles Keith Collins <ckcollin at indiana.edu>
>Subject: Appalachian pronouns
>
>Howd'ye!  As a native of the southern Appalachians I have always wondered
>why babies and small children are given the pronoun "it".  This also seems
>to apply to small, cute pets but not livestock.  Somewhere near school
>age, a child receives a gender-appropriate pronoun (at least in my
>experience).
>
>Likewise, the use of "ye" is still alive and strong, at least in my
>family.  Upon arriving for a visit, my family and I are often greeted with
>"How are ye?" or even "How do ye?"  It has occured to me that maybe this
>is a variant of "you" as it is often pronounced in the south "yuh" or
>"ya" (more or less).  Any thoughts on this from you'ns?
>
>Which brings me to "you'ns" (or maybe best spelled "yuns" with short "u",
>contraction of "you ones" I think).
>Any reason why this should be the plural pronoun of choice and not "y'all"
>as it is in most of the rest of the south (and increasingly elsewhere)?
>
>This is my first post, and I hope any infractions will be corrected and
>forgiven.
>
>I thank'ee kindly,
>
>Keith Collins

You're following "traditional" gender patterns.  A child is neauter (hence,
"it").  suggest not using once you're out of Appalachia, however.  It
wouldn't be well rec'd by most parents elsewhere.

Erek Gass

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Pronouns

Keith,

Welcome!

> This is my first post, and I hope any infractions will be corrected and
> forgiven.

Nothing to be forgiven.  It's exemplary, and it's great to hear from you.

You may be interested to know that the equivalents of the word "child" has
neuter gender in Lowlands Saxon (Low German), Dutch (?) and German as well:

LS: dat Kind  -> dat ~ det ~ it ~ et
D:  het kind -> het (?)
G:  das Kind -> es

Why?  Good question, considering that a child's sex tends to be considered
important at birth or during pregnancy.   I guess it has something to do
with being a collective term (as opposed to gender-specific "boy/son" and
"girl/daughter").

Of course, it is interesting to find this in Appalachian, and it raises the
question if Appalachian inherited this from a certain English or Scots
variety or from the "Dutch"/"German" varieties used in the Appalachian
mountains.