LL-L "Categories" 2002.09.16 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Sep 16 23:30:38 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.SEP.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Pronouns

Dear Keith, Ron and everyone else,

Keith asked:

>Which brings me to "you'ns" (or maybe best >spelled
"yuns" with short
"u",
>contraction of "you ones" I think).
>Any reason why this should be the plural pronoun of
>choice and not
"y'all"
>as it is in most of the rest of the south (and
>increasingly elsewhere)?

Sorry, I can't answer this one, but I thought you
might like to know that 'yours' in Cockney (and some
Estuary) English can also be 'yourn' - i have the
feeling that this is a contraction of 'your one' but
there might be a more distant dialectal varient alive
here as I don't recall ever hearing 'theirn', 'ourn'
or 'hern' (hisn and itsn would just be ridiculous!),
however it would fit in with 'mine' and (arch.)
'thine'. Any ideas?

Gary

----------

From: Colin Wilson <lcwilson at btinternet.com>
Subject: LL-L "Categories" 2002.09.16 (01) [A/D/E]

At 19:30 16/09/02, Nigel Smith wrote:

>On a related note: my grandmother, a fluent speaker of Scots, would
>refer to a turkey as a _bubbly jock_. Anyone know the origin of this (or
>indeed if it is normal/common usage in Scots)?

It's certainly common enough here in the north-east. I've no idea
of the origin, unfortunately.

Guidwull tae awbodie,

 Colin Wilson                  the graip wis tint, the besom wis duin
                               the barra wadna row its lane
 writin fae Aiberdein,         an sicna soss it nivver wis seen
 the ile capital o Europe      lik the muckin o Geordie's byre